actionhank Posted September 10 Posted September 10 On 9/7/2026 at 5:33 PM, Rocket_Knut said: Workflow is a bit different now since this game is using PBR now. So you´d need to create two files. The first one is containing the colour information. That can be done just like for GB. Minus the Alpha part though. And the compression type is now BC7 instead of BC5. The second file (RoughMets) controls the surface properties like ambient occlusion, roughness and reflectivity. Compression type is BC7 too and the canvas size for both is of course 4096 by 4096. Naming convention is to be followed strictly as well: For the first file it has to be "...#1.dds" at the end. The RoughMet file has to be named "...#1#1.dds". Your main question though, at least I think it is, "Template when?" I can´t answer. For obvious reasons. Here's hoping we can get some sort of method to just keep everything contained in a folder with some sort of description file that we can use to make the skins display more cleanly in game. The whole PlaneSkinIsTheFileName#1 display doesn't look great, and it would be really nice to have something that would let us create a thumbnail for the skin as well as make it display cleanly.
AndreiTomescu Posted September 10 Posted September 10 A true night mission, with truly pitch black environment. Finding an enemy plane in this setting is truly a work of...luck. Even tried to open cockpit, al low speed, and LISTEN for enemy's engine sound. The ground radar is primitive, and the plane radar (F-84) is still broken. In the picture, one elusive Tupolev, luckily found, skillfully shot, and even more luckily hitting the ground with no civilian casualties. Nalpam bags falling. The hole scene was much more interesting, but I'm no MiGCap. He's the king of pics. I'll be soon king of nothing, since we got bounced by Migs, asked for a second fighter cover, 4 Sabres arrived, but I was the only one to shoot down a Mig. Lost 5 planes and 5 pilots from rooster in this sortie, plus 2 from fighter cover. OMG..... 2 1 Oreoreeeoyeero!
actionhank Posted September 11 Posted September 11 Now that I've got the templates, it's time to start working on some skins! 6
MGMSwordsman Posted September 11 Posted September 11 2 hours ago, actionhank said: Now that I've got the templates, it's time to start working on some skins! Perhaps you could share the templates or let us know where we can get them? 4 minutes ago, MGMSwordsman said: Perhaps you could share the templates or let us know where we can get them? Never mind. I think I found them. 1
Panthercules Posted September 11 Posted September 11 The Marines have landed, in some borrowed F-84Es: 4 1 Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Rocket_Knut Posted September 11 Posted September 11 "Not a single issue? Fully serviceable?? WHAAAATT??? I know you love a good joke just like me. But really crew chief... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER??? 7 1
FAW_Tromplamort Posted September 11 Posted September 11 (edited) Edited September 11 by FAW_Tromplamort 5 2
actionhank Posted September 11 Posted September 11 One reason I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the templates is so I can do some more customized skins for my career mode. I thought it would be fun to give myself a nice flight lead paint job, and then a generic paint job for the rest of the planes in my squad, with some maybe getting some more customization if pilots survive missions or get some battle damage. I thought it would be a fun little way to keep things interesting. Still working on lining things up and finding stuff on the template, but I think the Blue Tail Bastards are going to look pretty good once I get things sorted out. It's been a nice little break after the sad news from the DCS community this morning about Wags. 4 1
BoeingVertol Posted September 12 Posted September 12 Pyongyang or bust! 3 9800X3D/5070Ti IL-2 GB/FC/Korea
actionhank Posted September 12 Posted September 12 Still working on it, but so far I'm liking the more painted version for my career pilot's plane, and then I've got a more simplified one that just has the blue nose and tail for the rest of the squad. 2 1
MGMSwordsman Posted September 12 Posted September 12 3 minutes ago, actionhank said: Still working on it, but so far I'm liking the more painted version for my career pilot's plane, and then I've got a more simplified one that just has the blue nose and tail for the rest of the squad. Beautiful Hank. Are you making your skins available? 1
actionhank Posted September 12 Posted September 12 (edited) 6 hours ago, MGMSwordsman said: Beautiful Hank. Are you making your skins available? Thank you! And I definitely can! I think HSD is going to have some Korean skins up on their site, so I can put them on there once they are done. I usually do one with markings and one without any numbers or anything for people who just want a generic skin to use with whatever numbers they assign. Edited September 12 by actionhank
MGMSwordsman Posted September 14 Posted September 14 4 hours ago, MiGCap said: One of the more incredible screenshots I have seen from a flight sim. Great work. 1
actionhank Posted September 15 Posted September 15 Working on a hand-painted looking RoKAF set of markings that looks to have been in use for the early war F-51s the RoKAF used. The biggest downside is trying to figure out how I want to do the K on the tail. As it is now, it looks like the K did on the tails, but the downside is...if you turn on the tactical codes the numbers appear on the tail as well as the fuselage. People may just have to go with single digits if they want, unless the devs can give us some flexibility in where the number codes appear, or maybe even a specific RoKAF faction that only has numbers on the sides and only has access to the F-51 for the campaign. Maybe someday... 5
Sashka13 Posted September 16 Posted September 16 (edited) Он просто прекрасен!!! Edited September 16 by Sashka13 4 3 AMD Ryzen 7 9800x3D, AMD Radeon RX9060 XT 16Gb, оперативка 32Gb.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now