robzerg Posted August 17 Posted August 17 (edited) Bit of a breakthrough in VR performance for me tonight: For some reason till today I'd never thought to play with the field of view. However a minor tweak to this - reducing it to 90% in Virtual Desktop - has yielded an impressive boost in performance without any perceptible change to the visible area in game (the graphics still fill the VR lenses with no letterboxing or similar reduction in scope). This has in turn allowed me to disable FSR, which has made everything much clearer! Pretty chuffed 😁 6800xt, 5900x, 32gb ddr4, pico-4, godlike res, most setting mid or low Edited August 18 by robzerg
Jade_Monkey Posted August 18 Posted August 18 3 hours ago, robzerg said: But of a breakthrough in VR performance for me tonight: For some reason till today I'd never thought to play with the field of view. However a minor tweak to this - reducing it to 90% in Virtual Desktop - has yielded an impressive boost in performance without any perceptible change to the visible area in game (the graphics still fill the VR lenses with no letterboxing or similar reduction in scope). This has in turn allowed me to disable FSR, which has made everything much clearer! Pretty chuffed 😁 6800xt, 5900x, 32gb ddr4, pico-4, godlike res, most setting mid or low Great news! Can you be more specific on which FOV setting you changed? Not familiar with virtual desktop. Do you know if that appliees to Pimax users? AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 32 GB DDR4 | nVME SSD | VR headset: Pimax Dream Air SLAM
robzerg Posted August 18 Posted August 18 3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said: Great news! Can you be more specific on which FOV setting you changed? Not familiar with virtual desktop. Do you know if that appliees to Pimax users? It's this menu - accessed by double clicking the small icon in the system tray/notification area (bottom right on the desktop). I've borrowed the screenshot from elsewhere as I don't use a monitor with my IL2 PC (VR headset only) : Interestingly, Google suggests a reduction to 90% reduces the pixels rendered by nearly 20% without (for me) any noticeable clipping - I imagine this might be even more beneficial for Pimax users given their very high headset resolutions! 1
robzerg Posted August 19 Posted August 19 I've found after a bit of experimentation that the minimum field of view I can achieve without seeing any obvious letterboxing is 85% horizontal, 70% vertical. This equates to a 40% reduction in the number of pixels rendered without affecting the visual quality, which gives quite a bit more headroom to the GPU (though I still get occasional stuttering during very heavy combat missions or dense targets).
Redeye Posted August 19 Posted August 19 7 hours ago, robzerg said: I've found after a bit of experimentation that the minimum field of view I can achieve without seeing any obvious letterboxing is 85% horizontal, 70% vertical. This equates to a 40% reduction in the number of pixels rendered without affecting the visual quality, which gives quite a bit more headroom to the GPU (though I still get occasional stuttering during very heavy combat missions or dense targets). What is your headset if I may ask?
JMax Posted August 19 Posted August 19 I found that reducing FOV in VirtuaDesktop to be the single most effective change to improve VR.85/85 is as far as I go,and I dont notice it in my Quest 3.In fact,VirtualDesktop has been a big improvement overall.80 fps mostly.Looks like my 4070ti will have to last for quite awhile since the gpu prices are just too expensive.🫤 1 ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 (LGA1700) 48.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1066MHz Intel Core i7 13700KF ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 931GB Western Digital WDS100T3X0C 931GB Western Digital WD_BLACK SN850X VirtualDesktop Quest 3 TrackIR VKB Stecs VKB Gladiator Monster Rhino FFB MFG Crosswind rudder pedals
splash Posted August 19 Posted August 19 I'm using VD 1.34.21 beta that supports USB cable connection. I cannot see the mouse cursor in the main screen. Does this work for you? Could it be a beta thing?"
robzerg Posted August 19 Posted August 19 5 hours ago, Redeye said: What is your headset if I may ask? Pico 4 - I'm sure mileage will vary with other headsets, but in any instance it's worth a shot as even a very modest reduction in fov saves quite a lot of pixels 1
RogwaR Posted August 21 Posted August 21 19.08.2026 в 22:28, splash сказал: I'm using VD 1.34.21 beta that supports USB cable connection. I cannot see the mouse cursor in the main screen. Does this work for you? Could it be a beta thing?" Very strange.....I'm use VD Beta USB and no cursors problem in main menu or another game parts...
Patricks Posted August 22 Posted August 22 (edited) Latest version of Vector XR has greatly improved his "Turbo" function. Previous version I was getting 1% Increase (negligible) in Korea, this was last nights (online) test of the new version.. Edited August 22 by Patricks 1 1 ALL testing is done in VR - GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Elite WIFI7, Thermaltake 1200w PS \AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Corsair iCue Titan Liquid CPU cooler \ 64GB G.Skill Z5 DDR5 \ SBlasterX G6 \ 4TB NvMe M.2 Boot Drive \ ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 5090 SOLID OC 32GB GDDR7 - Nvidia 617.42 drivers \ 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Gsync \ Win11 Pro Ver. 26H2 - Build 26300.9457 \ TIR 5 \ Warthog HOTAS with VPC WarBRD joystick base \ MFG V3 Pedals \ TM MFDs on 2 8" Lilliputs \ Simgears ICP \ Pimax Dream Air VR running 72hz at Steam 100% 3872x3516 (per eye) OpenXR.
wuVR Posted August 22 Posted August 22 (edited) Since this is the VE-Experience-Thread i´ll just post mine. For me, the Game still renders 2 different Pictures for every eye instead of the same picture, from different perspectives (lights, trees, shadows) How are you guys enjoing this? This Thread proofs Performance is abysmal, even guys with 5090/x3d´s are tinkering with VectorXR and ingame-Settings, and are still under 60 fps IPD is all over the Place the Menue is too close openXR is still not running for everybody Headmovement is too restricted Instruments are super-crisp, unless you move 1 inch back, then they are a blurry mess I´ll would want to wait this out, but then il-2GB was the only Game i ever had IPD-issues with, and i only ever solved that 98% ish I´m really out of tinkering-energy, it would be nice to just work for once For now, i stopped playing, eye-strain is a thing here. Edited August 22 by wuVR 2
Husar Posted August 22 Posted August 22 1 hour ago, wuVR said: Headmovement is too restricted Yes, this is a major and uncomfortable issue. When I move my head down or toward the gunsight, it feels like an invisible force is pushing my head back.
splash Posted August 22 Posted August 22 12 hours ago, RogwaR said: Very strange.....I'm use VD Beta USB and no cursors problem in main menu or another game parts... Could you share your VD settings? Anyway I'll try again this evening.
Bulldog Posted August 22 Posted August 22 I have the Samsung Galaxy XR and all was fine until this weekend. Il-2 GB is perfectly fine audio wise; however, there is hardly any sound in Korea. I booted it up again and there was sound. And then silenzio. Any ideas?
splash Posted August 23 Posted August 23 23 hours ago, splash said: Could you share your VD settings? Anyway I'll try again this evening. Yesterday I tested again and worked flawlessly.
YoYo Posted August 23 Posted August 23 I'm also thinking about trying VD, but I'll wait until Link leaves Beta and officially appears in VD. Then it's worth considering; for now, being a guinea pig is enough for me ;). Maybe I'll also find a VD sale in the Meta store so I'm not in any urgent hurry. 14 hours ago, Bulldog said: I have the Samsung Galaxy XR and all was fine until this weekend. Il-2 GB is perfectly fine audio wise; however, there is hardly any sound in Korea. I booted it up again and there was sound. And then silenzio. Any ideas? I don't have any experience with these headsets, but check your Windows settings. Maybe it didn't switch automatically? Like here - Playback (find your goggles here): Home cockipt: GPU RTX5090, CPU i7 13900, RAM 64Gb. | Webmaster of yoyosims.pl. VR flying only (Meta Quest Pro).
Bulldog Posted August 23 Posted August 23 2 hours ago, splash said: Yesterday I tested again and worked flawlessly. Here you go! Only Korea is quiet. Il-2 GB seems to be fine.
Bulldog Posted August 23 Posted August 23 Have no idea as to what is happening. Korea worked fine for one game, booted IL-2 GB and that was fine. Booted up Korea again and nothing. Tried last night and it is barely making a sound.
OAE Posted August 26 Posted August 26 Signing out, taking a break, throwing in the towel, giving up....Feeling sick from all the stutter. Tried DCS and GB and oh my god what a pleasure to fly without micro stutter, completely smooth. The way it should be in VR. I think reflected will come out with a new campaign for the P-47 in DCS soon. Will check in later in Korea closer to Christmas. I also have Pimax Crystal Light on the way that I will tune into the other flight sims. (Will probably keep Quest 3 ) 1 Pimax Crystal Light, RTX 5080, 5800X3D, 64GB
dugite Posted August 27 Posted August 27 Don’t toss the towel in. I’ve got quest3, link cabled to 7800x3d, RTX4090, 64gb ram. I was frustrated with il2k in VR until I read YoYo’s post; https://share.google/GAnezZMbQnFbf02uv I followed it, did everything he said, and then tweeked it to suit by dropping PD to 1.1 (from YoYo’s 1.2) and the FOV to 0.8; 0.8 (from his 0.7). I cranked AA to 8x (YoYo uses 4x). Winding my endcode bitrate down from 960 (what i used in DCS) to 650 seemed to reduce the “twinkling”. It now runs really good. I also close background apps. I was a DLSS user but I’m now happy to put up with a bit of twinkling when using FXAA as the improved clarity is worth it. VectorXR’s turbo mode is also set to ON. I also set the quest 3’s resolution in the Meta Horizon Link app to 1:1 under devices. The game is now very playable in the Quest3. 1
dr_gooberfish Posted August 27 Posted August 27 21 hours ago, OAE said: Signing out, taking a break, throwing in the towel, giving up....Feeling sick from all the stutter. Tried DCS and GB and oh my god what a pleasure to fly without micro stutter, completely smooth. The way it should be in VR. I think reflected will come out with a new campaign for the P-47 in DCS soon. Will check in later in Korea closer to Christmas. I also have Pimax Crystal Light on the way that I will tune into the other flight sims. (Will probably keep Quest 3 ) Unfortunately, I am with you on this. There is so much about Korea that I like, but it needs more time to mature before it is playable in VR without all the sacrifices. I played some VR BoS last night at almost all max graphical settings without a single stutter. Fate of the Galaxy (Star Wars a complete mod for Freespace 2 in VR!)is very close to release so I will play BoS and FotG for a little while, then come back to check things out. 2
Charger Posted August 30 Posted August 30 yeah i checked out a few weeks ago too. Great battles is such the better experience. Using the sboys3 driver i can push really high resolution numbers. And gloriously smooth. 1 5800x3D | 5090 | Pimax Super Ultrawide
Hotdognz Posted August 31 Posted August 31 Im the same to have not played IL2 Korea much since the last patch, checked it yesterday and still ran badly on my 4090 with my Pimax Crystal Ultrawide. Im not interested in cropping the view, im not interested in reducing pixels so it looks like a game from years back, ill just stick with GB, DCS and FS2024 and come back later at some stage. I hope some day they fix it so it does the game justice in VR, I remember how great GB is in VR and have all there content 1 3
YoYo Posted August 31 Posted August 31 9 hours ago, Hotdognz said: Im the same to have not played IL2 Korea much since the last patch, checked it yesterday and still ran badly on my 4090 with my Pimax Crystal Ultrawide. Im not interested in cropping the view, im not interested in reducing pixels so it looks like a game from years back, ill just stick with GB, DCS and FS2024 and come back later at some stage. I hope some day they fix it so it does the game justice in VR, I remember how great GB is in VR and have all there content That's right, it's quite good while flying solo, but unfortunately, the frame rate drops significantly during career mode. It's still possible to fly, but the experience is much better in DCS, IL-2 GB, or even MSFS2024. I'm really hoping the patch will bring significant optimization for VR, especially. 👍 2 Home cockipt: GPU RTX5090, CPU i7 13900, RAM 64Gb. | Webmaster of yoyosims.pl. VR flying only (Meta Quest Pro).
Hotdognz Posted August 31 Posted August 31 (edited) Its such a shame that VR in IL2 Korea needs A lot of tweaking to even make it run ok and then we have a real compromise in visual fidelity, even today after being in VR since the the original HTC Vive I still sit through WOW moments in DCS, GB and MSF2024, sadly this has not been the case in IL Korea and really it should have been a really big WOW moment being a new flight sim in 2026, a lot of my DCS squad mate who fly with me in DCS in our servers were looking for something new to fly in place of DCS flying full time and were waiting for my thoughts on IL2 Korea in VR as I was happy to test the waters, we even grabbed a server licence key ready to get a server set up, sadly I have told them to hold off and wait for now due to my experience with VR in Il2 Korea as its not a good experience. Hopefully the dev spends some more time getting it to the point where even there graphic pre-sets for VR runs VR good (The VR pre set is pure rubbish) and no tweaking is required, I will periodically check in and re test when the next patch is released. Edited August 31 by Hotdognz 1 4
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now