Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Yak-9P Historical Scripted Campaign "Guards Taejon"


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Im proud to present my first campaign for Il-2 Korea. In the campaign you will fly historical missions with the Yak-9P as pilot of the 56th "Guards Taejon" Fighter Aviation Regiment between June 1950 and June 1952. All missions are based on Douglas C. Dildy's works on the North Korean Air Force during the Korean War and I've usually tried to stay as close to the real events as possible. 

The campaign isn't complete yet. More missions will be added when the necessary aircraft become available. Also the announced improvements to the games AI will probably require some rework of the missions later. 

Download

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19bETBgdrNNhu5P38hQoZ5OMnudE0SRsO/view?usp=sharing

Installation

Place  the folder "Guards_Taejon" from the zip file into "\IL2Series\game\data\Campaigns"

Poster_1.jpg.31e5a6b00c9ca7c29a6cc31981f98482.jpg

 

Some remarks on gameplay

- Don't disable the complete HUD (h-key), otherwise you won't see messages during the mission.
- I mission counts as successful when you've returned to your base, landing is optional.
- American AI pilots in the campaign are usually on Ace or High level, while North Korean pilots have Normal or Low level. Only in later missions a few North Korean pilots on level High appear. 
- Only in the first mission you need to taxi to your take-off position (can be done with autopilot). In all other missions you begin at the take-off position.
- Radio navigation is available in all missions. All home airfields have a radio navigation beacon and the correct radio channel is already selected at mission start. 
- In later missions contact to radar operators is also available and sometimes requesting support over the radio is possible in some situations.
- Some of the missions use the games AI generated speech messages, but at the moment it's still hit-or-miss if this feature works for messages in Korean. So far I haven't figured out why some messages in Korean work and others not.
- Most missions have short or medium flight times. In the few longer missions you can decide to skip to the last waypoint before the target area or home airfield on the return flight, but you aren't forced to use this feature.

Known issues

Apart from the usual AI issues, like collisions, there are a few other problems I've noticed in the campaign: 
- B-29s are much to easy to bring down and their gunners are rather ineffective.  
- AI aircraft often don't release their bombs and drop tanks when attacked.
- C-47 drop their illumination bombs all at once.
- Vehicles have problems to avoid craters.

If you notice other problems in the missions please report them here and of course fell free to post images from your missions.

2026_8_23__7_41_23.jpg.b4b210b2d40084bfd9884c2c054fbea2.jpg

2026_8_23__8_7_54-Kopie.jpg.987e097eb0eed52f2d327b3cfa6c664c.jpg

2026_8_23__8_46_58-Kopie.jpg.f2dafb7f91ab1356f759403becf649e0.jpg

 

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 21
sandmarken
Posted

Very good this one will be interesting! 😄 

Jaegermeister
Posted

Congratulations on completing your campaign, (almost)! I am looking forward to giving it a try.

~S~ :classic_smile:

Ryzen 7 7800X3D l 32GB DDR5-6000 l RX 7900 XTX 24GB - AMD Adrenalin V.26.6.4 l HP Reverb G2 I Windows 11 Home

Posted

Good campaign, nice way to chill out after work.  The AI keeps me awake, though!

 

In the second mission, an AI plane rammed me while I was on final approach and I lost the entire rudder, but somehow managed to land safely. 😂 In the third mission, I managed to shoot down all the bombers, but my AI wingmen were gone pretty quickly, chasing the enemy from behind. 😂

Thanks 

Posted
6 hours ago, Husar said:

Good campaign, nice way to chill out after work.  The AI keeps me awake, though!

AI is still doing a lot of silly things at the moment. There are also issues with dive-bombing F-84 crashing into the ground. Not much I can do about this as a mission builder. I really hope there will be improvements in the future.

Posted

Regarding future missions with carrier aircraft, I've checked my sources and at least two new missions should be possible.

The first is the US-Navy attack on Heijo airfield on July 3, 1950, that was the first combat use of the Panther and Skyraider. Two Yaks were shot down by Panther pilots during the mission.

The second is a mission in April 1951, when Yak-9Ps clashed with Corsairs in the Chinnampo area, resulting in the loss of 3-4 Yaks.

I also need to replace the Mustangs in mission 14 with Corsairs.

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

AI is still doing a lot of silly things at the moment. There are also issues with dive-bombing F-84 crashing into the ground. Not much I can do about this as a mission builder. I really hope there will be improvements in the future.

Yes, I'm aware and I'm enjoying yours campaign. Good work.

Posted

I've updated the campaign.

A waypoint issue in mission 2 was fixed and I've also changed the formation to reduce collisions.

In the formation settings of most missions I've disabled the option "Wait for Wingmen". According to my tests this reduces the AI's problems to get back into formation after combat. Before this change it could happen that AI aircraft would circle over the target area instead of returning home, when the rest of the flight was too far away.

  • Thanks 3
Posted (edited)

A new campaign version is available.

I am still trying to find solutions for the various AI issues. This time I've updated the enemy fighter-bomber behaviour. The problem was that they reacted rather lethargic when attacked by fighters during ground attack missions. In the new campaign version they will do emergency drops of their payload much earlier and act more aggressive. I've also added some variation to the new behaviour, for example in one mission only one flight from a larger fighter-bomber formation will engage the attacking fighters, while the rest of the formation continues its ground attack mission.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Thanks 1
Posted

I hit your download hyperlink and got a 500 error.  Is there another location from which i could get it?

Posted

Awesome!!!!
 

Love the campaign and can't wait to give another go with the upcoming update 😄

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

First mission with intro for those who have not tried it yet..

guys, those who are building these missions, what sort of options do you have for the mission intro? Can you load a series of still images you create? or maps? or videos? I'm curious about mission building, though I have not built missions in 15 years or so.. but I like my missions to have a lot of flavor so this part is important to me if I'm going to invest the time.

btw, I could wish you guys would include the ROUTE total distance in the short briefing in the map screen before loading the aircraft. The first mission is kinda easy, would be nice if they would scramble a couple fighter while I"m loitering around.

 

campg-kor.jpg

yak9-1.jpg

Edited by Viking1

Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR

Posted
2 hours ago, Viking1 said:

First mission with intro for those who have not tried it yet..

guys, those who are building these missions, what sort of options do you have for the mission intro? Can you load a series of still images you create? or maps? or videos? I'm curious about mission building, though I have not built missions in 15 years or so.. but I like my missions to have a lot of flavor so this part is important to me if I'm going to invest the time.

btw, I could wish you guys would include the ROUTE total distance in the short briefing in the map screen before loading the aircraft. The first mission is kinda easy, would be nice if they would scramble a couple fighter while I"m loitering around.

It's possible to add images, videos or music at mission start.

I've tried to make the missions as close to the historical events as possible, so no enemy fighters in the the first two missions.

 

  • Like 2
Posted

Ah , gotcha!

So as many images as I like in the intro.. to tell a story and provide intelligence?

Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR

GiftGruen
Posted (edited)

Uh - that's great to find this !

I am already in a career with a YAK to shred the imperialist and fascist bastards that try to conquer my beloved country and have a lot of fun 😉 

Will give this campaign for sure a try !

Edited by GiftGruen

Rig - RTX5090 + i5-14600KF + Pimax Dream Air

Content - Flying Circus 1-4 + IL2-BoX ( all sceneries ) + IL2-Korea 

AEthelraedUnraed
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking1 said:

So as many images as I like in the intro.. to tell a story and provide intelligence?

No. One image only in the briefing. After the mission has started, you can display images, text or videos, but it can't be scrolled through, skipped or paused and IMO looks a bit awkward in VR.

Posted
10 hours ago, Viking1 said:

Ah , gotcha!

So as many images as I like in the intro.. to tell a story and provide intelligence?

I don't think there are any limitations. Just keep in mind, that the mission is already running in the background. So it's not a good idea to add a long intro when the player's aircraft starts in the air.

5 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

No. One image only in the briefing. After the mission has started, you can display images, text or videos, but it can't be scrolled through, skipped or paused and IMO looks a bit awkward in VR.

There is a skip option in Il-2 GB that uses a swf file. I've used in my Ivan's War campaign. No idea if it works in Il-2 Korea too. 

Posted

Wow, thats too bad. I would have liked to provide recon photos in B&W for some missions..maps, etc

Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR

Posted

It would be useful if such photos could be viewed during the mission, similar to the briefing text that can be opened in the map view.

  • Upvote 1
AEthelraedUnraed
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

There is a skip option in Il-2 GB that uses a swf file. I've used in my Ivan's War campaign. No idea if it works in Il-2 Korea too. 

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but it should be very easy to create a skip function using the new programmable dialogs 🙂

Still, there is currently no way to have anything else in briefings than a single picture at the top. Even with skipping functions etc, an in-mission text will never be as convenient as the briefing text. It would be tremendously useful to be able to insert pictures at other places than just the top of the briefing.

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
  • Upvote 1
Posted

Im surprise we dont have more options .. creating free add-ons for the community the devs should be fully invested in expanding this feature set. Maybe it will happen yet.

Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR

Jaegermeister
Posted (edited)
On 9/8/2026 at 7:16 AM, AEthelraedUnraed said:

No. One image only in the briefing. 

There could be more than 1 image displayed together in montage form if they were saved as a single file, and given the correct name to match the mission name. I don't know how long the intro file can be, but it does scroll down to read text when needeed.

On 9/8/2026 at 1:15 PM, Juri_JS said:

There is a skip option in Il-2 GB that uses a swf file. I've used in my Ivan's War campaign. No idea if it works in Il-2 Korea too. 

As far as I can tell, all of the old media player features from GB still work the same.

Edit… deleted incorrect statement quoted below

Edited by Jaegermeister

Ryzen 7 7800X3D l 32GB DDR5-6000 l RX 7900 XTX 24GB - AMD Adrenalin V.26.6.4 l HP Reverb G2 I Windows 11 Home

Posted
3 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

The mission automatically pauses when it starts, so any sort of intro video or image can display without interfering with the mission as long as it is activated in the first 1 or 2 seconds. When the intro ends, you can unpause and begin. 

No, when the missions begins you have to unpause or the intro doesn't play.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...