Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Recommended Posts

Panthercules
Posted

oops 🙄  turns out it was a problem with my key mapping after all.  Somewhere along the way (probably during some confusion caused by the game's habit of switching back to the default/general settings profile instead of staying on the custom VR settings profile I was last working on - that catches me out a lot) I had switched the buttons I had assigned to drop bombs vs jettison stores.  Soooo, when I thought I was pressing the drop bombs button I was actually pressing the jettison stores button.  Now that I fixed that the F-84E is working fine - drops single bomb/napalm canister with each press (and no drop tanks), and drops both tanks and bombs/napalm when the jettison stores button is pressed.  Sorry for the confusion!

  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Panthercules said:

BTW - I also tested the jettison stores command in the F-86A, and contrary to my earlier assumption it does not in fact jettison the rockets.  Does anybody know why that would be?

Same with Mustang's rockets - don't know why.

e: Possibly because the rack isn't jettisonable so the only way the rockets are coming off is if they are fired?

Edited by Valis
AndreiTomescu
Posted

The cluster bombs loadout for F-84 is missing. it is there in the selection menu, but, if chosen, will give the "undefined object" error. says something about missing a .txt file.

if i pressed OK button on the error window several times, as it kept popping up, the mission started, but with no cluster bombs attached to aircrafts.

Oreoreeeoyeero! 

ATAG_Ezzie
Posted

Does anyone know what causes combustor failure in the F-84?

Ive had it twice now and in both cases I didn’t get any damage messages and as best I can tell I was not damaged by aaa or by fragging myself from low level bomb drops. 
 

The system info page showed the combustor section in orange in both cases. In one case I was able to RTB ok but the other one just now I flamed out and couldn’t restart and had to eject. 
 

I’ve not been paying attention to my temp gauge so am wondering if flying at 100% rpms at low level for 5-10 mins while bombing airfields has caused the temps to rise and then cause the combustor failure?

Do any F-84 pilots have any ideas re this?

Ezzie

 

 

SonicGBOMB
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ATAG_Ezzie said:

Does anyone know what causes combustor failure in the F-84?

Ive had it twice now and in both cases I didn’t get any damage messages and as best I can tell I was not damaged by aaa or by fragging myself from low level bomb drops. 
 

The system info page showed the combustor section in orange in both cases. In one case I was able to RTB ok but the other one just now I flamed out and couldn’t restart and had to eject. 
 

I’ve not been paying attention to my temp gauge so am wondering if flying at 100% rpms at low level for 5-10 mins while bombing airfields has caused the temps to rise and then cause the combustor failure?

Do any F-84 pilots have any ideas re this?

Ezzie

 

 

Were you doing any high AOA or big yawing movements? The simulator does indeed simulate compressor stall / surge and I've had a big pop and a hung compressor when in a dogfight with the F86 after kicking the rudder to stall turn off the top of a vertical climb to try to catch a Mig out. That recovered by restoring stable airflow (no AOA or yawing), diving to increase speed and airflow through the engine with the throttle to idle so all pretty realistic.

If it stays hung, in the real world you would then close the HP cock and open it again slowly with the throttle at idle while holding the ignitor button but I've not yet found a way to do that in the game!

I've had it low level in the F84 also but I cant remember what I was doing at the time, it did recover however and got me home.

Edited by SonicGBOMB
Bert_Foster
Posted

The jets certainly need a dedicated relight key bind.

ATAG_Ezzie
Posted
7 hours ago, SonicGBOMB said:

Were you doing any high AOA or big yawing movements? The simulator does indeed simulate compressor stall / surge and I've had a big pop and a hung compressor when in a dogfight with the F86 after kicking the rudder to stall turn off the top of a vertical climb to try to catch a Mig out. That recovered by restoring stable airflow (no AOA or yawing), diving to increase speed and airflow through the engine with the throttle to idle so all pretty realistic.

If it stays hung, in the real world you would then close the HP cock and open it again slowly with the throttle at idle while holding the ignitor button but I've not yet found a way to do that in the game!

I've had it low level in the F84 also but I cant remember what I was doing at the time, it did recover however and got me home.

Not that I recall Sonic. Pretty much low level high speed moderate g runs on an airfield. 
 

but….

 

I flew an off line sortie and deliberately fragged myself. The system page showed plenty of orange damaged areas including the combustor. I checked the video and saw the frag impact right after my 250 detonated. 
 

But in the cockpit I didn’t hear any impact and the only damage notification I got was a fuel leak notification. 
 

So based on this I’m thinking I fragged myself which caused the combustor damage discussed in my original post on this. 
 

Regardless of whether it’s realistic or not it prob worth checking the system page after attacks as the aircraft can get damaged with little/no indicators to the pilot

FreddyKrueger
Posted

Im also having the issue of a very jerky pitch axis from nuetral position, only on the f84. Pulling up from centre(0.5mm or less movement on my physical stick), there is an approximate 5% jump of input. Changing to exponent only doesnt fix this. Every other plane does not have this issue. Using the Virpil WarBrd base, so even the slightest movements are recognized, but the pitch pull-up axis jumps from 0% to 5% regardless of how little i move my stick in real life. I see the jerkiness in the cockpit and when looking back at the elevators..Yet in the axis control screen, every bit of movement is recognized. This makes the f84 impossible to fly precisely, as it causes violent pitch up/down movements in flight...no idea how to resolve this, as it ONLY happens on the f84...any thoughts? Should i reinstall/reset all keybinds?

  • Upvote 2
Posted

I'm pretty sure I was noticing this effect the other day, but didn't check as closely as you have. I'll have a look next time.

ATAG_Ezzie
Posted

I have the same experience re sensitivity with the f-84 pitch axis. I tried all the same things re deadzones etc to no avail. I think this was noted in some very early posts in this thread by someone in beta /early access (Rails?)
 

I generally notice it most when trying to fly it straight and level and don’t notice it as much when doing bombing runs. So I tend to fly it using the alt hold function while flying to/from my target. Might not be historically accurate but it means I’m not dealing with the jerkiness during most of the flight. 
 

I may be mistaken but if I trim the aircraft to be slightly nose heavy it seems to dampen some of the jerkiness maybe. And it’s less noticeable - maybe - with a heavy weapons load. 
 

And it don’t seem to notice it during landing if I fly flat approach at about 200 mph with air brake deployed and full flap and wheels down etc.

Buy maybe I’ve just got used to it after about 60 hrs of flight time and the above don’t make any difference?

 

  • Upvote 1
Posted

I also have the same issue with the F-84. The nose bobs up and down when I dive, even when I try to hold it steady.

  • Upvote 3
Posted

Yes, hopefully it is resolved in (presumably) the next large update. It's also worth noting that the plane will oscillate along the roll axis when left in auto-level and the aileron boost disabled, eventually the plane will knock itself out of auto-level and crash.

Posted

I forgot to report that one - I (and several friends) also have the same issue with roll oscillation in auto-level. We had not touched any aileron boost setting, however.

Posted
8 hours ago, Whittle said:

I forgot to report that one - I (and several friends) also have the same issue with roll oscillation in auto-level. We had not touched any aileron boost setting, however.

By default the boost is off after engine startup sequence has been completed. The player has to turn it on before use.

SonicGBOMB
Posted
On 9/15/2026 at 6:04 PM, Leifr said:

By default the boost is off after engine startup sequence has been completed. The player has to turn it on before use.

How to you turn on the Aileron boost?, I cant find any key bindings or commands in the mini menu? I did wonder why the roll rate was so poor....

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SonicGBOMB said:

How to you turn on the Aileron boost?, I cant find any key bindings or commands in the mini menu? I did wonder why the roll rate was so poor....

It's in the subsystems menu; RIGHTSHFT+PGUP/PG DWN etc, or somewhere around there. Turn it back on once the engine sequence has completed and you will have excellent roll rate again. 🙂

Edited by Leifr
SonicGBOMB
Posted
1 hour ago, Leifr said:

It's in the subsystems menu; RIGHTSHFT+PGUP/PG DWN etc, or somewhere around there. Turn it back on once the engine sequence has completed and you will have excellent roll rate again. 🙂

Had a look in the menu, can see anything at all for Aileron boost? Is that the mini menu you can use for engine start, canopy, parking break blah blah? I can see in the subsystems menu there is mention of aileron boost but I cant interact with any of it?

Posted
7 minutes ago, SonicGBOMB said:

Had a look in the menu, can see anything at all for Aileron boost? Is that the mini menu you can use for engine start, canopy, parking break blah blah? I can see in the subsystems menu there is mention of aileron boost but I cant interact with any of it?

Use R SHIFT + PGUP/PG DWN to cycle through items/gauge specific to the airframe.

Use R SHIFT + HOME/END to cycle through options specific to that item/gauge.

Use R SHIFT + INS/DEL to push (toggle, for the aileron boost), or turn up/down for that particular option.

Really I wish this could all just be bound to an actual key, it's quite clunky as a feature (but nice to have).

 

image.png.c122febdd1047de24c8fdb8dd7c86386.png

SonicGBOMB
Posted
43 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Use R SHIFT + PGUP/PG DWN to cycle through items/gauge specific to the airframe.

Use R SHIFT + HOME/END to cycle through options specific to that item/gauge.

Use R SHIFT + INS/DEL to push (toggle, for the aileron boost), or turn up/down for that particular option.

Really I wish this could all just be bound to an actual key, it's quite clunky as a feature (but nice to have).

 

image.png.c122febdd1047de24c8fdb8dd7c86386.png

Wow, they hid that one away didn't they! All sorted now thanks, what a difference! Nice to know I can now also set QFE before departure and adjust my mirrors!

  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ATAG_Ezzie
Posted

For F84 flyers wondering re the fuel system management released in the latest patch (full disclosure - it may have been like this all along and I didnt go exploring and have only just discovered it) here's my initial take.

Pls correct me/add to it as required so that other F84 flyers can quickly get up to speed with it.

Firstly disable the fuel management helper in settings

Next jump into the aircraft and using Rshift + PgUp/PgDn step thru the options until a fuel system related one shows in the techno chat

Then use Rshift+ Home/End to cycle thru the various fuel system options you can control. From memory they are left and right tank pressurisation and fuel selector valve related

Stop cycling thru when selector valve is shown in the techno chat and go Rshift+INS/DEL to cycle thru the valve settings.  This will change the position of the valve selector control located under your left elbow on the lower LH side panel.

I did a quick experiment and with a powered up aircraft on the ground i selected the valve off setting and after a few seconds the engine spooled down.  I then set the valve to all and restarted the engine OK.  So it has at least this functionality modelled.

There may be more to experiment/discover with the fuel system but so far it seems to have some useful functionality to fiddle with in flight if so inclined.

A question maybe for the real pilots in the forum - when would you want to pressurise / depressurise the tip tanks?

 

Ezzie

  • Like 1
Yankee_One
Posted

Thank you Ezzi so much!!

It´s a great help for me!!

 

  • Upvote 1
BlitzPig_EL
Posted

I'm glad you figured this out, but, and it's a big BUT, in a real aircraft you just reach down and turn the fuel tank selector, you don't cycle through a bunch of options till you find the right one.  This is an unrealistic and overly cumbersome implementation.  So now we have the worst of two worlds, one, we have a silly blue box on all the time if you let the Helper do the work, and two, you have an utterly unrealistic, complicated, series of button mashing that has nothing to do with how real aircraft work.

*SIGH*

  • Upvote 4
BoeingVertol
Posted
22 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'm glad you figured this out, but, and it's a big BUT, in a real aircraft you just reach down and turn the fuel tank selector, you don't cycle through a bunch of options till you find the right one.  This is an unrealistic and overly cumbersome implementation.  So now we have the worst of two worlds, one, we have a silly blue box on all the time if you let the Helper do the work, and two, you have an utterly unrealistic, complicated, series of button mashing that has nothing to do with how real aircraft work.

*SIGH*

It is absolutely horrible.  

  • Like 1

9800X3D/5070Ti    IL-2 GB/FC/Korea

Posted
6 часов назад, ATAG_Ezzie сказал:

A question maybe for the real pilots in the forum - when would you want to pressurise / depressurise the tip tanks?

This is needed to take fuel from the external drop tanks — fuel from the drop tanks is supplied by air pressure.

Lead engineer

ATAG_Ezzie
Posted
15 hours ago, Gavrick said:

This is needed to take fuel from the external drop tanks — fuel from the drop tanks is supplied by air pressure.

Thanks Gavrick.

 

I did some further exploration of the F84's fuel system - putting aside the very clunky control process - and here's how i think it works.

Valve selector positions

All: If the tip tanks are pressurised then tip tank fuel is used first. Once they are empty fuel is next taken from the left and right wing outer tanks. I didnt test it but presumably once the wing outer tanks are empty it goes to the next inboard wing tank.

Wing aux: Fuel is taken from the wing outer tank first even if tip tanks have fuel.  And presumably once the outer tanks are empty the next tanks inboard in the wings are used.

Fwd aux: Fuel is taken from the fwd aux tank regardless of if there's fuel in the tip tanks or wing tanks

All off (or thereabouts as I can recall the exact message): No fuel is available. If the engine is on when this is selected the engine will keep going for a few seconds before spooling down.  A 'fuel starvation' message is shown in the technochat.  I opened up the fuel valve when i saw the message but the engine didnt restart.  I was able to restart via the normal start procedure

I didnt check what happens when the valve selector is on wing aux and all of the wing fuel is used.  Does it then start using the fwd aux or tip tanks or does the engine stop receiving fuel?  My guess is that is stops getting fuel as the fuel selector is set to empty tanks.

Tip tank pressurisation

By default the tanks are pressurised so dont need to be touched if you want to use the tip tanks first.  But if you want to preserve you tip tank fuel - not sure why but there might be some good pilotage reasons perhaps? - if you turn the pressure off to the tip tanks the fuel will stop being used.  You have to do each tip tank individually which is another bit of clunkiness re the fuel system control (but maybe the real aircraft controlled tank pressure individually?)

If you depressurise both tanks and use 15 gals from each of your wing aux tanks when you pressurise both tip tanks they will discharge 15 gals to the aux tanks at a faster rate than when used direct from the tip tanks ie the tip tanks are used to refill the aux tanks and the refill rate is faster than the fuel flow usage rate.

So what?

I'm not sure what benefit all this fiddling buys you.  If you leave it in the default position (all tanks selected with both tips pressurised) then the fuel system will use the tip tanks then the wing tanks then the fwd aux tanks and then the consumption tank.

I dont know when you'd want to keep fuel in your tip tanks while using fuel from the wings/fwd aux tanks. Maybe there's a pilotage reason for doing so?

And if your wing tanks are holed by AAA/frag/etc then you'd want to use them up before they leak all their fuel overboard.  Maybe in this case you'd depressurise your tip tanks and set the selector to wing aux to use wing tank fuel as quickly as possible before it leaks thru the holes.

But then when you pressurise the tip tanks they will just dump their fuel into the holed wing tanks and you'll have the same problem.

But maybe I'm missing something and there would be some benefits to doing fuel tank management and putting up with the very clunky control process?

 

Ezzie 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...