Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey,

I bought the game mainly for the multiplayer experience. I think most of us know what the IL-2 single-player experience is like, so multiplayer was a big part of the reason I bought Korea.

I really love the game itself. I think it’s pretty amazing overall, and I even bought the Collector’s Edition.

That said, I’m a Red-side player almost exclusively, so I’m pretty disappointed that the upcoming DLC seems to contain only Blue-side aircraft. Blue already appears to be the more popular side, so releasing an entire aircraft DLC for only one side feels like a strange decision to me. But that’s a different topic, and it was my mistake to trust them and buy the DLC blindly before they announced what's included...
 

My main issue is multiplayer activity.

I would really like to play the game regularly, but from my experience the multiplayer servers are extremely quiet most of the time. There seems to be only a fairly short period each day when there are enough players online for it to feel worth joining, flying and investing time into it.

So far, Combat Box is pretty much the only server where I regularly see some activity.

Am I missing something?

Are there other active servers that I haven’t found yet, or is this simply the current state of IL-2 Korea multiplayer?

I really like the game and want to put a lot of time into it, but I bought it primarily for multiplayer, so I’m starting to wonder whether I just have to accept that the active multiplayer population is relatively small at the moment.

Would be interested to hear what other multiplayer players are experiencing.

I haven't played Great Battles lately, since Korea is out, i uninstalled GB. Multiplayer activity is better there?

Any advice?

Thanks!

  • Upvote 1
Posted

Unfortunately, the Korea multiplayer experience is practically dead.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Posted

Is there any reason for that or hope to change?
GB has multiplayer activity recently?

Its very sad to hear, i was really hoping the game will succeed... so game is basically dead? I guess the only blue DLC wont help at all...

Dash,Polder
Posted

Multiplayer is also a bit seasonal, it'll pick up once it turns cold and things like yard work end.  The game launched at what is probably the worst time of year, peak sunshine.  I suspect things will also pick up as performance improves, which is currently a bit abysmal in the high end VR sector, which is a high portion of the multiplayer pool.   I'm getting weary of playing with cropped and dropped visuals just to get it to play decent, when my headset itself has the ability to solve all these issues, but they won't utilize them.  

Posted
2 hours ago, Faltun said:

Are there other active servers that I haven’t found yet, or is this simply the current state of IL-2 Korea multiplayer?

You see them all , it's low , some significant % is very bad VR expiernce. Game is great, Enigma is cooking dynamic multiplayer campaign, it might spawn more traffic.

Posted
3 часа назад, Faltun сказал:

Hey,

I bought the game mainly for the multiplayer experience. I think most of us know what the IL-2 single-player experience is like, so multiplayer was a big part of the reason I bought Korea.

I really love the game itself. I think it’s pretty amazing overall, and I even bought the Collector’s Edition.

That said, I’m a Red-side player almost exclusively, so I’m pretty disappointed that the upcoming DLC seems to contain only Blue-side aircraft. Blue already appears to be the more popular side, so releasing an entire aircraft DLC for only one side feels like a strange decision to me. But that’s a different topic, and it was my mistake to trust them and buy the DLC blindly before they announced what's included...
 

My main issue is multiplayer activity.

I would really like to play the game regularly, but from my experience the multiplayer servers are extremely quiet most of the time. There seems to be only a fairly short period each day when there are enough players online for it to feel worth joining, flying and investing time into it.

So far, Combat Box is pretty much the only server where I regularly see some activity.

Am I missing something?

Are there other active servers that I haven’t found yet, or is this simply the current state of IL-2 Korea multiplayer?

I really like the game and want to put a lot of time into it, but I bought it primarily for multiplayer, so I’m starting to wonder whether I just have to accept that the active multiplayer population is relatively small at the moment.

Would be interested to hear what other multiplayer players are experiencing.

I haven't played Great Battles lately, since Korea is out, i uninstalled GB. Multiplayer activity is better there?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Combat Box Korea was much more populated in summer months, especially on August, when the game was released. Now it most populated on weekend evenings. I think it because there is still just 8 aircrafts and 1 map, when GB has over 50 aircrafts and 7 maps, so upcoming DLC with 5 more aircrafts and carrier would more than welcome for multiplayer. Even so, I prefer Korea multiplayer 2 days a week than GB multiplayer everyday, for Korea is just another level of aviasims.

P.S. I mostly play red side, so 3 new DLC prop aircrafts would be nice for multiplayer gameplay on Yak-9P and La-11. Constant beating of Mustangs is quite boring.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kemnilov said:

Combat Box Korea was much more populated in summer months, especially on August, when the game was released. Now it most populated on weekend evenings. I think it because there is still just 8 aircrafts and 1 map, when GB has over 50 aircrafts and 7 maps, so upcoming DLC with 5 more aircrafts and carrier would more than welcome for multiplayer. Even so, I prefer Korea multiplayer 2 days a week than GB multiplayer everyday, for Korea is just another level of aviasims.

P.S. I mostly play red side, so 3 new DLC prop aircrafts would be nice for multiplayer gameplay on Yak-9P and La-11. Constant beating of Mustangs is quite boring.

Well, usually i dont spend my weekend in front of the computer, but i spend most of the weekdays there from monday to thursday.
For me its pretty weird weekends are more active in a game. But this is what it is.

5 more aircrafts for ONE side, that is already way more popular, and stronger with the current 50 caliber for fighter and in totally different league for ground attack.
I understand this is historically correct, and there are not many red planes to add for this theatre, but i was really hoping for at least TU-2, or actually a 2nd WW theatre.
Historically correct is questionable tho for 50cal, as it feels very strong, compared to any other game.

I kinda love the game, its amazing, but i CANT actually play it, because its dead. SP in IL-2 is bad, and generally im not into playing vs AI in any game.
TBH im pretty disappointed, especially after i ve spent 170 bucks on the game i cant play.


If i understand correctly GB has some activity on weekdays as well recently? (I am asking this, because i dont want to download and install 90+ GB just to see Multiplayer is dead there too.)
But if there is activity on servers, like kombat box or finnish, probably its time to reinstall it, idk if i can go back to it after Korea tho, as Korea is far superior.

Rocket_Knut
Posted
1 hour ago, Faltun said:

Is there any reason for that or hope to change?
GB has multiplayer activity recently?

Its very sad to hear, i was really hoping the game will succeed... so game is basically dead? I guess the only blue DLC wont help at all...

Reasons? Main reason might be the selection of theatre and therefore narrowing down the player base even more. Finding another niche within a niche within a niche within a niche... and so on. How they´ve been dealing with customer feedback over the years might be another one. Also, eight aircraft only, all single engined. And there are probably a lot more reasons then these three...

Hope for a change? I guess aircraft carriers will improve the numbers. Briefly.

This is a screenshot from last Saturday, around 19:00 hours in Europe. If it wasn´t for Combat Box...

 

What the numbers.webp

  • Like 1
Rocket_Knut
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Faltun said:

If i understand correctly GB has some activity on weekdays as well recently? (I am asking this, because i dont want to download and install 90+ GB just to see Multiplayer is dead there too.)
But if there is activity on servers, like kombat box or finnish, probably its time to reinstall it, idk if i can go back to it after Korea tho, as Korea is far superior.

Five minutes ago...

What the numbers GB edition.webp

Edited by Rocket_Knut
  • Like 1
Dash,Polder
Posted

Wow, 104 slots occupied out of 1,260, color me impressed.  Next thing you know we'll be overflowing at 10% capacity. 

Fabry_ASW19
Posted (edited)

Combat Box works well for US East Coast Timeframe, so far I was able to find wingman to fly with every day, but numbers have been going down compared to after launch week.

As a Primarily Blue Player it would be not fair to deny we have been spoiled and we have the most effective Air to Ground Plane-set and the next DLC will bring even more amazing aircraft to our side.

Even if i do enjoy a good dogfight Air War is about Air to Ground and Combat Box is reflecting that well, When we fly as flight of usually 3 we do get way more excitement when we know we have a robust MiG and IL2 opposition to deal with so without Red Players in the Server everyone lose in my opinion, I wish there was a way to improve Air to Ground for Red Force but measuring up to F80 and F84 is a very hard task!

Thankyou for the few red players that still hold on and fly the one awesome Airplane you have and Thankyou to the IL10 drivers who do try to hold the line supporting Red Ground Forces we can see your struggle and Valor 😉

My suggestion is use Combat Box Discord to find friends that fly the same timeframe you do.

You can also try to use Combat Box Stats Mission result to see who's active and at what time ( https://korea.combatbox.net/results.html ) as soon as you find wingman your experience will greatly improve even in a scarcely populated server.

Edited by Fabry_ASW19
  • Like 1
Posted
48 minutes ago, Rocket_Knut said:

Reasons? Main reason might be the selection of theatre and therefore narrowing down the player base even more. Finding another niche within a niche within a niche within a niche... and so on. How they´ve been dealing with customer feedback over the years might be another one. Also, eight aircraft only, all single engined. And there are probably a lot more reasons then these three...

Yeah Agreed. When i saw its Korea i didnt even want to buy it, and didnt care much. But later when i saw the game is so beautiful, and it has a lot of potential, ground stuff is amazing, and lot of good things, i was like i dont care if its Korea i ll give it a go.

But definitely i would have chosen anything second world war instead of Korea, starting with battle of Britain, or Eastern Front. I know GB has lot of the theatres, but GB is a different game, has nothing to do with the new tech they have in Korea, Korea is amazing, but bad theatre for a flight sim in my opinion. Going for Korea was a huge mistake in my opinion, they did it for the carrier operation i think, probably its good for single player blue players, but generally bad for multiplayer, bad for red players, and as you said too niche for flight simulator genre in general.

Thanks for sharing the picture, i reinstalled GB for the multiplayer, i played a bit, but its really hard to go back after Korea's tech advantage. I dont think i can stick with GB after playing Korea, but Korea is dead, probably time to go back DCS. I dont know. 😞

I really hope Enigma's server will bring some life to Korea multiplayer.

I used to fly on his DCS Cold War server, that was amazing as well.

Dash,Polder
Posted

I wouldn't write it off multiplayer just yet, give her some more time in the oven, its not finished yet.  Still features not here yet, new content will change the game, every thing new adds that much more depth even to the stuff that's already here.   Still very early in the life cycle, clearly they are invested.

  • Like 1
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dash,Polder said:

I wouldn't write it off multiplayer just yet, give her some more time in the oven, its not finished yet.  Still features not here yet, new content will change the game, every thing new adds that much more depth even to the stuff that's already here.   Still very early in the life cycle, clearly they are invested.

Yes, You re absolutely right.

I look at this as a platform, that has a lot of lot of potential. And i hope and have faith, it ll be better, i mean its already good for me, i dont even need more planes, but ppl not playing multiplayer, thats my only problem and i cant do anything about that.

But i believe it needs a new theatre\timeline(hopefully WWII) to have a stable multiplayer playerbase. Which is a huge amount of time.

And im looking to play multiplayer sim nowdays, based on this forum post and my experiences this week, Kora dosent have multiplayer right now.

Posted

The single biggest "fix" the Devs need to invest in is the VR experience.  I do not play in VR.  I use TrackIR and love it.  But several of my friends use VR and are having terrible performance.  Made only more frustrating by the fact that some people with the same kit are getting good performance. So, they stopped playing entirely. Having poor VR performance is killing the interest in the game which does effect me even though I don't use it.  There is not nearly as much fun going out and flying when there are only 1 or 2 people on the DPRK side against 12 or 15 on the UN side.

  • Upvote 3
Posted
4 hours ago, JG14_Jagr said:

The single biggest "fix" the Devs need to invest in is the VR experience.  I do not play in VR.  I use TrackIR and love it.  But several of my friends use VR and are having terrible performance.  Made only more frustrating by the fact that some people with the same kit are getting good performance. So, they stopped playing entirely. Having poor VR performance is killing the interest in the game which does effect me even though I don't use it.  There is not nearly as much fun going out and flying when there are only 1 or 2 people on the DPRK side against 12 or 15 on the UN side.

Yes, it's largely the same in our online group as well. Most of our sticks are VR-only and they've found the Korean experience generally very sub-optimal, it's enough for them to kick Korea in to the grass and wait for 'future improvements' (if they ever arrive). 

  • Upvote 2
tikijoetots37
Posted
6 hours ago, Leifr said:

Yes, it's largely the same in our online group as well. Most of our sticks are VR-only and they've found the Korean experience generally very sub-optimal, it's enough for them to kick Korea in to the grass and wait for 'future improvements' (if they ever arrive). 

Same, we've got a group of around 20 regulars about 3/4th's fly VR only. The couple of pilots with 4090's 5080's and 5090's are doing okay with performance the others by a wide majority have put Korea down for now for the much better performance to graphical fidelity options that are currently available. While VR might be the minority, your VR guys are going to be you most dedicated base that are on multiple times a week, every week. It would not be wise to put how terrible the VR performance is currently as a low priority issue. I'm on a 5090 in VR, my frames are good enough, but what I'm seeing graphically, and my performance do not line up. Coming in to land and viewing the airfield from 1k feet from less than a mile away, the airfield should not look like I'm playing a ps2 game while barley being able to eek out acceptable frame rate on the most powerful consumer available graphics card available. Especially when I can just go down the street and fly jets on beautiful high fidelity terrain at 30-40% of the performance cost. Just my take, and same conclusion some of ya'll came to. Again, I'll reiterate, while VR players might be a small portion of IL2's player base, those are the players that are going to be on MP day in and day out, and a lot of the large tight knit groups that have been flying together for years, most of those groups have a good amount of VR players, and if everyone isn't on board with flying IL2 because of performance reasons, even the 2d players in those groups are going to jump over and fly something that everyone else can also fly, which sadly, currently means an alternative flight sim to Korea.   

  • Upvote 4
Posted (edited)

Most nights 30 players max evenings (CET)...weekends some short peaks 45-50 and thats it...and only one server populated....really?

Edited by Tvrdi
Hetstaine
Posted

All quiet on the Korean Front...

 

Hopefully the carriers and bigger planeset bring some more players next year.

            I7 12700k-5070TI-32GB-49"Odyssey

VKBGunfighter/Stecs/TMpeds/BoeingPit/Delanpro

BraveSirRobin
Posted

I remember when RoF multiplayer had trees flying up into the sky. It was a little annoying that I had to do real world stuff for a few days. I kinda miss bugs like that.

67thFBS_Heiden
Posted

I started streaming IL-2 Korea today, and I hope I can bring more engagement and excitement and get people over here.  I'm promoting it heavily on my Discord server as well.  I am hoping to drag a few of them boys over here from XP12!  Jochen Heiden has arrived on scene, boys.

JOCHEN HEIDEN, MAJ, USAF

Commander, 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron

Check out my Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/@jochenheiden

Join my Discord Server:  https://discord.gg/VVwpgrqNbd

Posted (edited)

Some of us were asking for a more user friendly mission builder for Korea, long before Korea released.  Getting more people knocking out missions would be a big help.

Another pitfall is getting folks that are new to multiplayer, or people like me that have been away from multiplayer for a long time to get back into it, but with only one or two viable servers, that enforce the mantra of "full difficulty", that is never going to happen.  Also the cohort of online players now is so adept at virtual combat flight, that n00bs have zero chance of surviving their first 20 minutes on a server.  I tried Combat Box, and I really want to like it, but one of two things happened for me.  

1. I took off in a Mustang looking for a truck convoy indicated in the briefing, and got about 12km from base and simply exploded.  Never saw the Mig that did it, never heard it coming, just BOOM!  How to survive or defend against that?

2. I relocated to a different base that didn't have someone hovering over it, took off again, and flew till the mission ended, never finding the convoy, even though I flew up and down that road over and over.  Did have a nice chat with Sharfi though about the Corsair.

I have no ideas how to deal with issues like this, but it's part of the problem of bringing people into multiplayer.  It's not like it was when IL2 started, lots of servers for every skill level, the Card manufacturers were catering to flight sims, etc., it was just more fun.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
Posted

Hey BP,

Good questions and I can’t offer anything other than my opinions that may or may not work for you. 

re mig vulching - in case unaware there are 2 missions on CB that are no-jet missions (one is on now). This won’t stop vulching but at least they won’t be migs

The approach I took and still follow is to fly on the periphery of the mission as I learn to fly my aircraft and understand the mission. I like Lone Ranger intruder type missions so don’t feel the need to go where all the action is. I usually don’t last long there anyway as my dogfighting skills aren’t good enough to survive furballs. 
 

As I get more confident I move closer to the larger well defended targets but still don’t stick around - 1 pass haul arse.

re hard to find convoys - I’ve gone looking for them as well and early on couldn’t find them either. But i record my flights and in the video I can spot them and get a feel for where they and how they look and usually find them next time. Makes you realise the value of FAC when trying to spot tgts in a fast jet. 
 

Due to my time zone i often fly on low player count CB missions. So that gives me time and space to learn the aircraft and mission for when there’s more people on. I still enjoy it on low sever numbers as even if there’s only 1 enemy i treat it as if he’s after me. Several times I have been shot down by the only enemy on the server so this keeps me on my toes. 
 

Hope u can find a way to get back into MP. 
 

Ezzie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...