Joch Posted September 15 Posted September 15 (edited) So I have been trying to follow the procedure, but am also a bit confused about the whole cage/uncage action. F80/ HVAR 5” rockets, I set everything through the Multimenu. 1. set sight to “Gyro”; 2. Set minimum range on sight, i.e. 200 yards; 3. Depress gunsight by 48 degrees (as per chart for shallow dive); visually confirm everything is setup properly, so far so good… 4. now next step, cage/uncage or do nothing? Cage gives me two options “cage = gunsight : rockets” or “uncage = gunsight: guns”. I typically choose “Cage” go in for the attack and it works well, rockets hit close to where the Gyro is aiming, but the procedure seems be that we should set it to “uncage” prior to attacking? Edited September 15 by Joch
Bert_Foster Posted September 16 Posted September 16 (edited) 1 hour ago, Joch said: now next step, cage/uncage or do nothing? Cage gives me two options “cage = gunsight : rockets” or “uncage = gunsight: guns”. I typically choose “Cage” go in for the attack and Where does these two options cage=gunsight or uncage = gunsight : guns come up ? Edit. I see you need Techochat up tp get these messages Too bad if you fly with techno chat off! that said these options are nonsensical, pressing the Elec cage button selects Gun mode or rocket mode ???? looking at the Gyro movement all it really does is as expected vary Gyro sight sensitivity. Technochat implies pressing the Elec cage does two things at once ! This mechanization is to me a mess. There needs to be specific stores selection keybindings to select the store/Pylon you want to use. Bombs, Rockets, Gun etc. I get good results using Fixed sight and choosing a reference close to the depression value from the chart. If you want to actually set depression then do so with fixed sight and use the + as your sighting reference as it will be at the selected depression. Edited September 16 by Bert_Foster
FuriousMeow Posted September 16 Posted September 16 I think I can get it working, but on the first pass only. After that, the gyro seems to get out of whack or I'm not doing something that needs to be done. After first pass I've tried increasing range, circling back, decrease to min again, press the gunsight: cage button, and miss. Close, but miss. I've tried leaving range at min, pressing the gunsight: cage button, after level a bit to target, press gunsight: cage again, and miss. Close but a miss is a miss. Then combining the two: After first pass push range out a bit, press gunsight: cage, circle back, level steady flight to target, min distance, gunsight: cage, still miss.
Joch Posted September 16 Posted September 16 1 hour ago, Bert_Foster said: I get good results using Fixed sight and choosing a reference close to the depression value from the chart. If you want to actually set depression then do so with fixed sight and use the + as your sighting reference as it will be at the selected depression. I get good results with the procedure I set out above, rockets fly within the gyro circle, no complaints there. I am just trying to figure out how the real world procedure set out by Luke translates into the game. I agree the technochat is a bit a cheat, but since we still do not have an actual game manual to understand how things are supposed to work, we have to make do with what is available.
1C Game Studios LukeFF Posted September 16 Author 1C Game Studios Posted September 16 19 hours ago, Bert_Foster said: How does the K14 compute for range in the rocket mode ? It uses a fixed range as I understand it. what is the source document for your jpg ... be interested to read the entire thing. It computes for 1600 yards but the tests say any distance between 1200 and 2000 yards will yield satisfactory results with that setting. The source document is attached (for the second image; I don't have the source doc for the first one). AN 11-35C-1 Handbook, Operation, Service, and Overhaul, Instructions with Parts Catalog, Computing Gun Sights, USAF Types K-14A, K-14B, K-14C, K-18, and K-18A, Navy Mark 23.pdf 1
1C Game Studios LukeFF Posted September 16 Author 1C Game Studios Posted September 16 17 hours ago, Bert_Foster said: that said these options are nonsensical, pressing the Elec cage button selects Gun mode or rocket mode ???? Why are they nonsensical? That's what pressing the cage button or the ring was for. 🙂 (F-80 Manual):
1C Game Studios LukeFF Posted September 16 Author 1C Game Studios Posted September 16 16 hours ago, FuriousMeow said: I think I can get it working, but on the first pass only. After that, the gyro seems to get out of whack or I'm not doing something that needs to be done. After first pass I've tried increasing range, circling back, decrease to min again, press the gunsight: cage button, and miss. Close, but miss. I've tried leaving range at min, pressing the gunsight: cage button, after level a bit to target, press gunsight: cage again, and miss. Close but a miss is a miss. Then combining the two: After first pass push range out a bit, press gunsight: cage, circle back, level steady flight to target, min distance, gunsight: cage, still miss. After your firing pass is complete, you need to release the cage button so the sight can properly reset and compute a new solution for your next firing run. 1
Husar Posted September 16 Posted September 16 50 minutes ago, LukeFF said: Why are they nonsensical? That's what pressing the cage button or the ring was for. 🙂 (F-80 Manual): Can you share Lockheed P-80C Pilot's Manual?
1C Game Studios LukeFF Posted September 16 Author 1C Game Studios Posted September 16 3 hours ago, Husar said: Can you share Lockheed P-80C Pilot's Manual? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJ-3-4ZhCIwvTsmO_3kgCvmYCL_KxVqx/view?usp=drive_link 3
YoYo Posted Sunday at 11:58 AM Posted Sunday at 11:58 AM (edited) Generally, pressing Cage/Uncage doesn't work well for me because there simply isn't much time for it during an attack run, especially against moving vehicles. But I’ll share the method that works quite well for me when firing HVAR; generally, I hit my target, even a moving one, with a high probability (80-90%). 1. Set minimum range on sight, i.e. 200 yards; 2. Depress gunsight by 33 degrees (approach angle of, say, 15 to 50 degrees) 3. Approach with the wind, against the wind, or from a similar angle (avoid a crosswind). 4. Align the fixed indicator (cross) with the center of the gyro - dot (as shown in the screenshot, just example), fire the rockets (two per 1 target) once you have a clear view of the target (you can identify it, rather than it just being a dot) and both indicators are aligned on the target. Edited Sunday at 09:41 PM by YoYo Home cockipt: GPU RTX5090, CPU i7 13900, RAM 64Gb. | Webmaster of yoyosims.pl. VR flying only (Meta Quest Pro).
FuriousMeow Posted yesterday at 03:06 AM Posted yesterday at 03:06 AM I don't know if something was adjusted in the latest patch, but I've been able to have more successful rocket attacks. Prior the first two were on target, then after that not again. Since the latest patch I'm able to get all rockets on targets in multiple passes. F51 only tried again so far.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now