Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Spandau Shredder: Flying Circus German Weapon Buff (Single-Player)


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone!

I made this mod for those of you who, like me, are completely exhausted by the "bullet-sponge" damage model in Flying Circus single-player/Career campaigns.

The Pain (Why I made this): I was flying my career in Jasta 12 and got frustrated. I put the game on 1/2 speed and perfectly watched an entire 7.92mm burst go straight through the cockpit and engine of a Sopwith Camel at 50 meters... and the enemy pilot just kept flying like Superman. The hitboxes are tiny, and damage to canvas/wood seems to have zero kinetic impact. I wanted that cinematic feel from movies like Flyboys(2006) and The Red Baron(2008), where a solid close-range burst actually shreds the enemy's wing off, instead of spending 10 minutes trailing a single plane and dumping your entire ammo belt.

The Solution (The "Trojan Horse"): I initially tried cranking up the RPM of the LMG 08/15, but the game engine and the propeller sync gear blocked the weapon. I tried removing overheat and dispersion, but the game crashed with zero-division errors.

The final workaround? A literal Trojan Horse in the 7.92mm ammo files (AP and APsmk). I redirected the direct impacts and ricochets to trigger shell detonation.

The Balancing (To avoid becoming the Death Star): In my first version, I shot down 10 planes in one sortie because the blast radius vaporized everything. Since I wanted an arcade buff but didn't want to completely ruin the gameplay, I created a custom file (he_burst_792mm.txt) and applied the following nerfs to the cannon explosion to simulate the structural shock of a concentrated 7.92mm burst:

  • Shockwave (TNT_equ) reduced to 0.02 (Requires direct hits to the chassis/engine, won't blow up the target from near misses).

  • Base damage reduced from 1214 to 350.

  • Shrapnel (ShrapnelQuantity) cut from 150 to 40 (Simulates just wood and engine parts flying off near the impact zone)

The Result: This mod is NOT for multiplayer, and hardcore simulation purists might turn up their noses. It's a buff purely focused on arcade fun and visual immersion. With a 50m convergence, a well-placed burst will now snap an enemy wing or destroy their engine instantly.

Spandau Shredder.zip

Installation (via JSGME):

  1. Extract the downloaded .zip file.

  2. Drop the Spandau Shredder folder directly into your IL-2 Sturmovik MODS directory.

  3. Run JSGME.exe and activate the mod.

  4. Important: Make sure to check the "Enable Mods" box in your game's realism settings!

Edited by Krieger777
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...