Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

New Pilot: Extremely sensitive Elevator Control on F-51 with Ursa Minor Stick


Recommended Posts

67thFBS_Heiden
Posted

Hey everyone!  New to IL-2 Korea.  I am learning the F-51D and am having extreme issues getting the elevator control right.  It seems EXTREMELY sensitive, despite me dialing back to the controls as much as can.  I am using the Ursa Minor Fighter stick.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can dial back the elevator control at low deflection angles any more so that I am not overcontrolling the plane?

 

Thanks!

Pitch.png

JOCHEN HEIDEN, MAJ, USAF

Commander, 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron

Check out my Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/@jochenheiden

Join my Discord Server:  https://discord.gg/VVwpgrqNbd

Posted

How's the joystick behaving in that setup screen (the blue marker)? With a curve like that I think you will get very little response for some time before the response starts to increase dramatically. That can be difficult to control. I would start without a curve and increase it bit by bit.

 

I have never used the joystick you have. I have vkb on the floor with extension that makes small moves much more controllable. If you can in the setup screen achieve tiny movements with your joystick then I guess not to over control comes with experience.

 

You might also want to make sure your plane is trimmed right.

Posted

First thing I'd do is get rid of that deadzone - all it's doing is reducing the range of available input making your problem even worse. Also, 100% exponent is a vicious curve.

I had the same stick, briefly, and it has a throw of 15° which isn't a lot to work with, admittedly, but try removing both the deadzone and exponent curve. It'll take maybe a few hours to get used to (just grab a drink and fly a bunch of skirmishes against the AI) but it'll serve you better than the settings you've posted. 

Might be counter-intuitive, and not what you want to hear, but that's where I'd start.

67thFBS_Heiden
Posted
1 minute ago, Valis said:

First thing I'd do is get rid of that deadzone - all it's doing is reducing the range of available input making your problem even worse. Also, 100% exponent is a vicious curve.

I had the same stick, briefly, and it has a throw of 15° which isn't a lot to work with, admittedly, but try removing both the deadzone and exponent curve. It'll take maybe a few hours to get used to (just grab a drink and fly a bunch of skirmishes against the AI) but it'll serve you better than the settings you've posted. 

Might be counter-intuitive, and not what you want to hear, but that's where I'd start.

It's exactly what I want to hear.  I'll try it out!  I need to hear from other people with this stick.

JOCHEN HEIDEN, MAJ, USAF

Commander, 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron

Check out my Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/@jochenheiden

Join my Discord Server:  https://discord.gg/VVwpgrqNbd

Posted (edited)

I had some issues with the Yak, and testing this no with some deadzone settings for roll, Thrusmaster AVA-viper:

Yak9pAilerondeadzone.jpg.d22592a05d4eebbd8f6896c0b8ac32a0.jpg

and for pitch:

Yak9ppitchdeadzone.jpg.58967ef3c727e5c15ab27e60f4e14a92.jpg

Edited by JollyJack
67thFBS_Heiden
Posted
23 minutes ago, JollyJack said:

I had some issues with the Yak, and testing this no with some deadzone settings for roll, Thrusmaster AVA-viper:

Yak9pAilerondeadzone.jpg.d22592a05d4eebbd8f6896c0b8ac32a0.jpg

and for pitch:

Yak9ppitchdeadzone.jpg.58967ef3c727e5c15ab27e60f4e14a92.jpg

Is this with the Ursa Minor stick?

JOCHEN HEIDEN, MAJ, USAF

Commander, 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron

Check out my Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/@jochenheiden

Join my Discord Server:  https://discord.gg/VVwpgrqNbd

Posted (edited)

As said a Thrustmaster AVA-viper .. 

Edited by JollyJack

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...