Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Recommended Posts

Remontti
Posted

I got my self a AR glasses, Rayneo GT Max. They are 1920x1080 in resolution with 120Hz. There are three modes, 227", 267" or 307" for screen size. Field of view is 59 degrees. I thought I'll use separate IR tracker with them in Opentrack. 

 

First impression when I got them was that the picture is not that big. My 32" monitor looks actually bigger (which is at 50-60cm distance). I made a new opentrack profile since I could now turn my head more and the picture would still be right in front of you. Well, as you guessed you run into limits how far camera can see IR leds. It was somewhat more that I could pull out of it versus with the monitor but still limited.

 

But then I thought that these things have a gyroscope in them. It is not supported by Opentrack but someone had made it work with different manufactures Xreal glasses. Maybe it would be possible with Rayneos too. I put the chatGPT in work and with a custom program I was able to get head tracking data from glasses and send it to Opentrack . With 11th version of program I got rid of drifting issues and other minor issues. Now it is working great. Now I have a Opentrack profile where the tracking is similar to what it is with VR glasses but is a bit more relaxed. It feels quite natural. These are 3DOF, Yaw, Pitch and Roll. But that wasn't a problem since I have always used Roll to control sideways X-movement and Pitch to Upward movement in Opentrack, even with 6DOF devices.

 

Of course I was able to tell that the resolution 1920x1080 was a downgrade form my monitors 2560x1440. But it wasn't too bad. Now that the tracking is working great that felt like a minor issue considering the improved immersion. Just moment ago I tried giving the glasses DSR resolution of 2560x1440 and now the image quality is also very nice.

 

Now you might ask why go through all this trouble and just get a VR. Because I don't really like VR. I had Oculus v1 and Reverb G1. I always found them uncomfortable to use because of heat and not able to see real world around you. Then there is performance and the need for top tier hardware. These glasses are a very good solution for me. VR like immersion, they are light and I can see real world from edges. These glasses actually have a 3D mode too if you can get two images next to each other in 3840x1080. I was able to get it work with IL2 Korea when I used SteamVR Null-driver but the view was somehow wrong although it was 3D. Maybe it was due to the 90 degree field of view. I didn't really dive into that aspect yet but I might see if I get it working right.

Dash,Polder
Posted

Good job, more power to you with what works, and with what you want to do.  Innovation at it's finest.

Years ago before trackIR existed I strapped a gyro mouse on my converted David Clark headsets I used for sound and mic for mouse view, and it worked hands free, just had to lock the trigger on.

Remontti
Posted

The glasses come with USB-C connection so I think that PC gaming was not the manufacturer's main goal. They work great for movies if you connect them to your phone. They have built-in speakers that seem pretty good. For pc I acquired a DP to USB-C adapter with additional power supply.

 

I had the intention to use them also at work when flying with uav. Might be useful to watch the image from glasses rather than from the screen of a remote controller. I just need to get another adapter for that.

 

But for simming I'd say it is a viable option to big screens or multi monitor setups. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...