Bemused Posted September 21 Posted September 21 Been away from the game for a while. Are infantry units (ideally moving) now appearing as targets in the game, either career or online?
YoYo Posted September 21 Posted September 21 7 minutes ago, Bemused said: Been away from the game for a while. Are infantry units (ideally moving) now appearing as targets in the game, either career or online? Not typical infantry (like the wave of soldiers) but the crew are present: https://media.il2-korea.com/news/dd_25 also soldiers with rifles. 1 Home cockipt: GPU RTX5090, CPU i7 13900, RAM 64Gb. | Webmaster of yoyosims.pl. VR flying only (Meta Quest Pro).
AEthelraedUnraed Posted September 21 Posted September 21 57 minutes ago, Bemused said: Been away from the game for a while. Are infantry units (ideally moving) now appearing as targets in the game, either career or online? Moving infantry has been there for a while (since BoN). Whether or not they appear online completely depends on whomever made the mission. There are no reasons why there couldn't be infantry, but obviously if the mission writer hasn't placed them anywhere, there won't be any. 1
Husar Posted September 21 Posted September 21 1 hour ago, Bemused said: Been away from the game for a while. Are infantry units (ideally moving) now appearing as targets in the game, either career or online? No marching infantry, but I might be wrong 1
AndreiTomescu Posted September 22 Posted September 22 I have a particular interest now to find soldier detachments and try to strife/nalpam those, since their movements and behaviour, not to mention graphics, are way, way better compared to GB. Also it's fun to land nearby and walk towards them. The outcome is not so funny. 🙂 To be noted that they actively fire their guns at you (rifle detachment) and sometimes even might have a handy MG available. Oreoreeeoyeero!
kev2go Posted September 22 Posted September 22 (edited) On 9/21/2026 at 12:03 PM, Bemused said: Been away from the game for a while. Are infantry units (ideally moving) now appearing as targets in the game, either career or online? i have only seen infantry squads in in home by Christmas campaign. I have not yet seen them in career mode or in multiplayer scenarios yet. Only soldiers i see are those manning artillery or AAA. quite unfortunate there aren't any infantry formations to attack in career mode via Close air support missions considering the Chinese army was mostly light infantry but maybe there are performance concerns. Edited September 22 by kev2go
BlitzPig_EL Posted September 22 Posted September 22 I have put them on a dogfight mission I made. A Chinese MG platoon in a wooded area, and a US rifle platoon also hiding in some woods guarding a road junction. I don't think they are like the infantry in Great Battles though, but I have not tried to make them move.
AEthelraedUnraed Posted September 23 Posted September 23 11 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said: I don't think they are like the infantry in Great Battles though, but I have not tried to make them move. They are pretty similar. As in GB, they're implemented as "vehicles", meaning that a squad roughly moves as one. They can run, and fire from a kneeled position (IIRC the MG squad fires prone). PS the other ground units have much improved soldiers as well; the other day I strafed a Chinese mortar and its crew scattered quickly and in quite a realistic way! 1
Jaegermeister Posted September 23 Posted September 23 16 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said: I have put them on a dogfight mission I made. A Chinese MG platoon in a wooded area, and a US rifle platoon also hiding in some woods guarding a road junction. I don't think they are like the infantry in Great Battles though, but I have not tried to make them move. They are very similar to infantry in GB, but there are 3 types instead of just 1. When planes fly over them they stop moving, take a knee and shoot at the plane. I don't remember that from GB. They are phenomenally accurate BTW, and will usually hit you with single rounds. I would assume that can be adjusted with the AI setting like other vehicles though. They move like any other vehicle, and do not take up any more memory than something like a truck column. I have put 6 or 8 formations of them in certain missions with mortars, AAA and friendly troops and had no problem. I did run into an issue of getting stutters with too many in one place, but it was more than 12 infantry units all shooting at each other at the same time. I think trying to replicate human wave attacks with 200 of them coming over a hill might be an issue, but I have not tested it (yet). Ryzen 7 7800X3D l 32GB DDR5-6000 l RX 7900 XTX 24GB - AMD Adrenalin V.26.6.4 l HP Reverb G2 I Windows 11 Home
BoeingVertol Posted September 23 Posted September 23 (edited) 47 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said: They are very similar to infantry in GB, but there are 3 types instead of just 1. When planes fly over them they stop moving, take a knee and shoot at the plane. I don't remember that from GB. They are phenomenally accurate BTW, and will usually hit you with single rounds. I would assume that can be adjusted with the AI setting like other vehicles though. They move like any other vehicle, and do not take up any more memory than something like a truck column. I have put 6 or 8 formations of them in certain missions with mortars, AAA and friendly troops and had no problem. I did run into an issue of getting stutters with too many in one place, but it was more than 12 infantry units all shooting at each other at the same time. I think trying to replicate human wave attacks with 200 of them coming over a hill might be an issue, but I have not tested it (yet). Can't wait to see some more of your mission work on the Korea map. The possibility of providing CAS for big human wave attacks (this map area in particular) are one of the main reasons I bought this game. Edited September 23 by BoeingVertol 1 9800X3D/5070Ti IL-2 GB/FC/Korea
Jaegermeister Posted September 24 Posted September 24 (edited) You might see that soon in @AEthelraedUnraed's SAAF RAAF Mustang campaign. In my case, it might work out after Carrier ops is released. Edited September 24 by Jaegermeister 1 Ryzen 7 7800X3D l 32GB DDR5-6000 l RX 7900 XTX 24GB - AMD Adrenalin V.26.6.4 l HP Reverb G2 I Windows 11 Home
AEthelraedUnraed Posted September 24 Posted September 24 3 hours ago, Jaegermeister said: You might see that soon in @AEthelraedUnraed's SAAF Mustang campaign. In my case, it might work out after Carrier ops is released. *RAAF not SAAF 😉 But you're correct; infantry will feature in multiple missions. If you're willing to go beyond assigned targets (and are able to spot them), you might even encounter a "human wave" attack. It turns out No.77 Sqn. helped stop one of the major attacks around Chosin and effectively kept the 31st Infantry going for another day. Even if according to the ORBs, they only attacked buildings there, no troops. @Jaegermeister if you're doing an F4U campaign in the area, it might be worth collaborating. Of the 4 planes available to stop this particular Chinese attack, 2 were RAAF Mustangs; the other 2 were Marine Corsairs. 1 2
Jaegermeister Posted September 24 Posted September 24 5 minutes ago, AEthelraedUnraed said: *RAAF not SAAF 😉 But you're correct; infantry will feature in multiple missions. If you're willing to go beyond assigned targets (and are able to spot them), you might even encounter a "human wave" attack. It turns out No.77 Sqn. helped stop one of the major attacks around Chosin and effectively kept the 31st Infantry going for another day. Even if according to the ORBs, they only attacked buildings there, no troops. @Jaegermeister if you're doing an F4U campaign in the area, it might be worth collaborating. Of the 4 planes available to stop this particular Chinese attack, 2 were RAAF Mustangs; the other 2 were Marine Corsairs. Rightey 'O Mate... I knew that... 🤔 I was thinking I might like to do a carrier F2H Banshee campaign, because it's such a cool plane, but I guess most of those missions would actually be top cover for bombers and Fleet Air Cover. I don't know yet, but there will be lots of options. 1 Ryzen 7 7800X3D l 32GB DDR5-6000 l RX 7900 XTX 24GB - AMD Adrenalin V.26.6.4 l HP Reverb G2 I Windows 11 Home
BoeingVertol Posted September 24 Posted September 24 (edited) This Chosin talk has me drooling. USMC retired, so this one is near and dear to me. I have been messing around a bit with mission creation, but the carrier DLC/aircraft are what is really going to bring that area to life for what I have envisioned (seems the same for you gents). Thanks for all your work, you guys do amazing stuff! Edited September 24 by BoeingVertol 1 9800X3D/5070Ti IL-2 GB/FC/Korea
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now