Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Recommended Posts

Posted

After almost 15 years, I relaunched RoF, moved by J18 Raben's videos!

RoF with mods looks quite nice still! I started a Campaign in PWCG with Jasta 29 (still tyrying to fully enable Gooseh's remarkable skin packs) found the old templates of the Johannisthal Mod and pulled out a skin for my pilot Uffz. Martin Engels. I also reworked the bump map, making a universal one that works for all models and skins.

Jasta29-MartinEngels.jpg.4b917de6de1aa86b59649ad17dbdf6f2.jpg

Jasta29-MartinEngels1.jpg.59a5c1a25d0ca239cf4dff6a143fa6c6.jpg

Jasta29-MartinEngels2.jpg.7db3f7bda9be5eebe2ba5504870f918b.jpg 

  • Like 4
Posted (edited)

Some more action, with Jasta 29 (PWCG) featuring the new skin, now with redesigned brand new round footstep.

2026_9_14__15_47_50.jpg.8d030d6cfda03e7ef22f604b41addc52.jpg

2026_9_14__17_14_54.jpg.32b3efe21c23fc07e21a2624127ab42f.jpg

2026_9_14__17_18_23.jpg.3c10fc91eff707e2fd06dc375de10abd.jpg

2026_9_14__17_20_31.jpg.d31ed098fadc91185b24b5e99f88535f.jpg

 

Edited by elephant
  • Like 2
Posted

Jasta 29, mid May '17...Lt. Wolff just transfered from Jasta 11...

2026_9_15__9_28_40.jpg.8bc8047c899d1602fcfa39334fe0ba1d.jpg

2026_9_15__9_23_38.jpg.284c7bd3fa5c40d4ac265d18cad29a33.jpg

2026_9_15__13_47_46.jpg.bca2b575569ad7bd3bdc5ddffa52bba9.jpg

2026_9_15__13_31_5.jpg.4d320f604f270e23497445af77318a84.jpg

Some more porogress on the new Johhanisthal Mod skin template, after the new round footstep, new Garuda propeller (from my FC template)

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Posted

Engels being the leading ace in the Jasta with 34 kills (Wolff has 31) got a newer machine...with shifted radiator (hahaha) and a square footstep.

(I transfered layers from my FC template for the historically accurate footstep)

2026_9_15__21_21_59.jpg.bb6861bdea10954ca379ef5e8dca3711.jpg

2026_9_15__20_35_4.jpg.bb4a0016d94ee49d31ffb7ae0d002cbe.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I tried the official Career for a change...

Jasta 6 (Generic Jasta skins are shown and I made a custom skin for my player)

2026_9_28__21_22_19.jpg.6f61bd1fcdd3d2b76043aaba3b250917.jpg

Jasta 27, Channel Map, March '17 (Generic Jasta skins are not shown this time)

Into the Void

2026_9_29__19_18_36.jpg.71a5fbd0cd4efd56892396390c8886ce.jpg

2026_9_29__13_35_14.jpg.3d1e1c1b9e055bddcf90ea5775d51c26.jpg

2026_9_29__13_33_16.jpg.b1b23f03d46701e526d1b89a710d495e.jpg

I've noticed that my old Pilot Mod didn't cover all the planes available, the FE-2 gunner for example, and I expanded it.

Now every plane whould have more historically accurate crew, including the Felixtowe and the S-22.

2026_9_29__21_2_59.jpg.c010444ddcaa173d1f962aeac4608cb3.jpg

One more propeller option for the Johannisthal D.3...Astra

2026_9_29__21_22_5.jpg.057d20bcf31d4797ceffff26f1b3fc42.jpg

 

  • Like 2
elephant
Posted (edited)

Some more action with Jasta 6, late April '17...

2026_9_30__16_26_27.jpg.de762a5748f44fc497b671eae57b450b.jpg

2026_9_30__16_27_40.jpg.0d253c0632c45e09ec6de2a7b2df92a6.jpg

2026_9_30__20_48_30.jpg.0d9fff15c8a060420cdcb749b8f97621.jpg

The German pilot from the expanded Pilot Mod (the face of the original was too exposed and gave him an inner balaclava helmet)

                                                                                               2026_9_30__16_13_11.jpg.ad3a487e69058da34bf0205a1621c1e9.jpg

2026_9_30__16_19_48.jpg.3b25347142b37b4b651dbf96da75ac83.jpg

2026_9_30__16_21_54.jpg.03e0e97822d11d4d33a84f99d5f60497.jpg

2026_9_30__16_16_35.jpg.2ffd1078db813d8d01d62fb28d245d8a.jpg

Back to base, featuring the new WOLFF propeller.

2026_9_30__14_48_20.jpg.bb157cbab547aca426b5cd6e2eeec295.jpg

Edited by elephant
  • Like 1
Trooper117
Posted

Good old RoF... I haven't played that in ages. Bought everything as soon as it came out, bit by bit, lol!

It gave me many, many hours of enjoyment!

  • Like 3
elephant
Posted (edited)

Yesterday by mistake I lost the Johannisthal Mod template and all the recent work I've done featuring in the above screenshots.

Starting from scratch with an older backup template and bits and pieces from the latest skins I managed to restore, in the most part, the Jo Mod template.

Here is the first skin I produced from the brand new template, a personal skin for Moritz von Behr, of Jasta 27 (Official Career, Channel Map).

2026_10_1__15_28_47.jpg.3c374671a15ae64634ea2ed87e6d6740.jpg

Fighting along some D.2's of Jasta 8 (probably)

2026_10_1__15_44_13.jpg.eeed824f7b65effe8d63237302f5feb7.jpg

2026_10_1__15_46_42.jpg.01c3292bc75d2eacd5532d3a04df7acb.jpg

(Bloody) April Fool's '17...

The poor N 11 belongs to Belgian 1ere Esquadrille but the majority of Squadron skins are not shown in the Official Career, I wonder is there o Mod for this?

Panthercules made one for FC, I searched the old Forum but I cound't find one for RoF.

2026_10_1__21_24_50.jpg.9f4daa57936f8278c1d08c18cad36e3b.jpg

2026_10_1__21_26_55.jpg.fc6ad6a0dcd7db90900884541ef019be.jpg

2026_10_1__21_30_21.jpg.9f488fe285c33bc0a2b20662e74b5644.jpg

Back to base featuring a brand new WOTAN propeller.

2026_10_1__21_54_7.jpg.25e1b48da46c14bb9d80413476644fba.jpg

2026_10_1__21_47_10.jpg.dca950d010ddddd50f9931d6a85bcaf6.jpg

Edited by elephant
  • Like 1
elephant
Posted (edited)

Some more Bloody April action over Flanders, fields and shores...

On the prowl...

2026_10_2__13_35_52.jpg.6e048dde0597a3549cd4159a2ad4d9b5.jpg

2026_10_2__15_41_9.jpg.0b8a121056ff94db5a4f4f1c2312daca.jpg

2026_10_2__15_44_27.jpg.32fe8c4c60579d12bea5998c8b742d03.jpg

Mission accomplished

2026_10_2__15_35_15.jpg.ea2bd4e6ec809651db040ad1c5cc99b5.jpg

Bad day for Naval 8

2026_10_2__13_52_46.jpg.9ec36d6faff2fa0f1af69eac8f4ad062.jpg

2026_10_2__14_1_31.jpg.a5e43ae6abb8e220df3b2b139344fe68.jpg

2026_10_2__13_55_8.jpg.d6f78f1e19039268f4023a2575810ee1.jpg

 

Edited by elephant
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

Great screenshots and mods. Only skins from the official skin pack will work with career mode. Unfortunately PWCG campaign doesn't work very well with the Channel map. I tried an early Marine Feld campaign and it went pear shaped very quickly with balloon tethered over the sea and Tripes opposing our EIII's. After the 3rd mission only a single Fe would appear.

Edited by J18
  • Like 1
elephant
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, J18 said:

Great screenshots and mods. Only skins from the official skin pack will work with career mode. Unfortunately PWCG campaign doesn't work very well with the Channel map. I tried an early Marine Feld campaign and it went pear shaped very quickly with balloon tethered over the sea and Tripes opposing our EIII's. After the 3rd mission only a single Fe would appear.

Ha ha, thanks, I'm trying to match your missions!

I started a Campaing myself with MJF 1  but the initial line up placement is weird and my squadmates keep bumping on hangars, half of the flight usually fails to take off.

I'm also having another problem with the AI loitering forever over the airfield and never proceed to the mission objectives (I'm using the latest version of PWCG and I've learned that people are using an older version  that is considered more stable, do you know anything about this?)

In Official Career AI has problems with side winds, they fail to take off and crashing over the place...

I'll get the Official skin packs again (I have tons of skins from the old days but I don't know which is which).

Edited by elephant
Posted
On 10/3/2026 at 7:42 PM, elephant said:

Ha ha, thanks, I'm trying to match your missions!

I started a Campaing myself with MJF 1  but the initial line up placement is weird and my squadmates keep bumping on hangars, half of the flight usually fails to take off.

I'm also having another problem with the AI loitering forever over the airfield and never proceed to the mission objectives (I'm using the latest version of PWCG and I've learned that people are using an older version  that is considered more stable, do you know anything about this?)

In Official Career AI has problems with side winds, they fail to take off and crashing over the place...

I'll get the Official skin packs again (I have tons of skins from the old days but I don't know which is which).

If you're using PWCG version 3, it doesn't work very well. I tried it 3 or 4 times and the game would either freeze or crash. Here's a link to PWCG 1.6 https://www.mediafire.com/file/ctuplp8u71gb7j9/RoFCampaign.zip/file

If you're using vonS mods you may have to change this file in the Lua scripts: "cplaneai". Change the last line "SeniorWingmanTOspeed=30" change 30 to 10. The higher original speed causes problems a lot of take off problems. vonS said on the old forum that you can delete this text file with no problems and the AI flight perform better. I might try that and see what happens 

Good luck and good flying!

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thank you, thank you! Yes, I'm using VonS's mods and I reverted to PWCG 16.3.1.

I have installed Gooseh's skin packs and Barkhorn's edits but there is no Skin Management option in this version, how on earth you assign skins to your squadmates? (I tried editing the Campaign file myself, with no results)

Untitled-1.jpg.c9a84912de49e3f884955ba8477e52f7.jpg

I started a Campaign in Flanders with MFJ I, in 16.3.1, my squadmates most of the times sporting the squads generic skin, sometimes I have mixed flights with suad generic and plane's default skin and the aces skins show up normally. Barkhorn says that you should assign skins to your squadmates for his edits to work properlly but how?

Anyways, I put together a skin for my player (Oliver Kempf) from the new Johannisthal Mod template...

Due to muddy conditions in the Flanders the undercarriage fairing has been removed...😉

2026_10_4__16_44_20.jpg.b9470d3495eedd312a93661e7a3c2a98.jpg

2026_10_4__16_48_40.jpg.422661e849bc5c092df65abfc831e3cc.jpg

2026_10_4__16_44_54.jpg.82b000e7252fc0f95238977aa4b256b1.jpg

PS: I checked the VonS files I'm using (the latest I suppose) and found: SeniourWingmanTOSpeedTreshold = 15.0

I 'll reduce it to 10 and see...

Edited by elephant
Posted

In PWCG 16.3.1 the promotions are too easy to get IMHO.

After a couple of months and 20 kills (I don't claim everything) I become Commander!

It is now June '17 and I had to leave MFJ I to lead a new Squadron (I didn't remember that feature)

I went for Jasta 27 as I didn't want to leave Flanders (no other Naval Squadron was available) but Goering was not eager giving up the command, so I chose Jasta 29.

I found a couple of aces there, Werner Voss and Kurt Wolff and a new machine of the 6xx batch of the Johannisthal Werke.

The Jasta 29 leaves the planes  in standard camo with a number or the initial of the pilot in black with white trimming.

As a commander I added a plain chrome yellow band to my crate to honour the Naval aviation colours of my former unit.

(the characteristic square footsteps of the last 2 batches of Albatros D.3, from Johannisthal have been added to the template, getting ready for the OAW now)

2026_10_5__13_42_57.jpg.57efc90026b57a9c29d7e7422aad99b7.jpg

In my first flight I got a Strutter and got bounced by a flight of 3 Triplanes. I got two of them and Wolff got the other.

In the after action report I was informed that i had downed Raymond Collishaw!

The next mission was not so fancy, I got only a balloon but it was enough to make me a Pour Le Merite recipient.

2026_10_5__13_36_38.jpg.8e5e50d6ca94fe1321cf242b94491a9c.jpg

2026_10_5__13_37_1.jpg.c3518848c072c9837935fd1e2c6688a9.jpg

Back to base featuring a new Luckenwalde - Niendorf propeller.

2026_10_5__13_54_50.jpg.c3571c382f15066898a43b0a436a8a1a.jpg

2026_10_5__13_19_4.jpg.41aeb390a66f28602b66e45ac7042f0c.jpg

Posted (edited)

My chief mechanic insisted on bordering the fuselage band with black outlines and I admit it surely looks better.

Here on patrol with Werner Voss...

2026_10_5__19_4_28.jpg.40b04d9ba62ee105032bf70597ac4c1e.jpg

I did try Raben's suggestions, also in the Campaign's Weather configuration I reduced the Maximum Wind Speed to 3 meters per sec.

Still there are times that my squadmates don't want to take off.

Here the most odd thing I encountered. 

With moderate, favourable wind and my flight didn't took off with me, they were waiting with their engines running.

2026_10_5__19_33_30.jpg.17a410130db0bdf3b56027598df6af3d.jpg

2026_10_5__19_30_29.jpg.8e58e76c48ee8c512fb0555d655e8a63.jpg

I did some rounds over the field and I finally had to make a lone wolf patrol.

Upon returning, in the proximity of the base I saw them coming towards me to form up! 🥳

I ordered them to return home and procceded to landing. I landed, parked and saw them circling at low altitude and I made an exit...

The after action report stated all three of them been destroyed...go figure...🤪

Anyway, here is a close up to the new Johannistahl Mod...Albatros D.3 of the last two batches (600-649/17, 750-799/17)

It's all about details, allways based on photographic evidence, featuring: new wood texture with correct planking for the Johannisthal models, repositioned hatches, added missing rivets, Factory ID placards, the new designed engine access and mounting footsteps that should be identical, proppellers from different manufacturers with their respected logos to mention some and all these backed up with a new universal bump map that is compatible with any other creator's skin ever made (Gooseh is in mind)!

2026_10_5__20_5_24.jpg.204059a47888b60821ef94a0e405d090.jpg

Edited by elephant
Posted

This how you assign skins in PWCG. This shows Jasta 6 in1917. Some Jasta have more than aircraft type to assign skins to.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I have had the opposite experience in PWCG, my pilots have never been promoted! If they start as a Leutnant they stay as that no matter how many missions they fly or enemy planes downed. Lt Werner Brandt Jasta 6.

Alb DIII J6.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Wow, thank you J18 Raben! 😁

You've been the most helpful!

Check out the expanded Pilot Mod , you would be needing those for your videos.

Waiting for you next story...

 

Edited by elephant
Posted (edited)

I saw your last video J18 and played a couple of missions, with my pilot, Kmdr. Oliver Kemf.

This was my first ever explosion with VonS's Mod on, I didn't expect it and was stunned and lucky not to get any debris as I was too close!

2026_10_6__14_52_41.jpg.d7d9b6eca447e42b9690971f863db368.jpg

2026_10_6__14_50_7.jpg.f2428c83aafbe675a6958f439847e30b.jpg

2026_10_6__14_49_17.jpg.2b8570f4122846d0b5025b7de3cd92b1.jpg

2026_10_6__14_47_16.jpg.323cd7abba0665fbc46307f901ced660.jpg

 

Edited by elephant
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Loosing that template was not so bad after all, I'm very pleased with this new one!

Some more action:

2026_10_6__20_20_23.jpg.99750bcf863d15182dfc61346260b2ef.jpg

2026_10_6__21_13_37.jpg.51c3c49fd1ddc068c1075f6ec5bced52.jpg

2026_10_6__21_15_9.jpg.ff8fa6287a9ac70742768ba5a9400269.jpg

2026_10_6__21_18_59.jpg.dbdc8ef052f92a16f55e380ac5ea8a16.jpg

2026_10_6__21_18_44.jpg.754f133d7d7c33f37bb6d181de72f59d.jpg

2026_10_6__20_23_54.jpg.42f921dedc27d2e64eab3893760f939e.jpg

Edited by elephant
Posted (edited)

Coming back home after a fierce fight with Spads and Pups, Martin Engels and Uffz. Buhl got bounced by Biffs.

Trying to save the novice Buhl, Engels damaged critically one Biff but hit by the rear gunner of the other one.

With blurred vision and stiff controls managed to disengage and made it to base to conduct an emergency landing...

The machine crashed into a hangar and was written off, Martin Engels lost a lot of blood but survived.

Unfortunately, Uffz. Buhl was lost.

2026_10_7__21_59_44.jpg.401c3641c7bbd81ea53b82abf7a11044.jpg

2026_10_7__22_0_26.jpg.deb87128eb5ca4ae7cb7976a2ad901ed.jpg

2026_10_7__22_0_49.jpg.c9c1d2940cda4f11cf93dbe73b4abefd.jpg

 

Edited by elephant
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...