Deacon352nd Posted September 13 Posted September 13 When looking in a folder of an older mission I made, there is no mission file only a msnbin.exe file so I can't open the mission within the ME so that I can adapt or change it. I remember there was a way to do that but I can't remember or find out how in the forum. Does anybody remember or know how to do it?
kraut1 Posted September 13 Posted September 13 1 hour ago, Deacon352nd said: When looking in a folder of an older mission I made, there is no mission file only a msnbin.exe file so I can't open the mission within the ME so that I can adapt or change it. I remember there was a way to do that but I can't remember or find out how in the forum. Does anybody remember or know how to do it? Hi, Try it with *.*
Boaty__McBoatFace Posted Wednesday at 08:29 PM Posted Wednesday at 08:29 PM On 9/14/2026 at 5:52 AM, kraut1 said: Hi, Try it with *.* Hey mate 👋 I tried that *.* to open BERLOGA dogfight .mission file but the editor comes up with an error saying it can't be opened. I think they encrypted it or something so you can't open their dogfight mission? Real PITA and can't find a workaround. Any help appreciated 👍
Husar Posted Wednesday at 11:25 PM Posted Wednesday at 11:25 PM Devs removed the option to open the MSNBIN format in the editor not long ago, after it had been available for more than ten years.
kraut1 Posted yesterday at 03:45 AM Posted yesterday at 03:45 AM (edited) 12 hours ago, Boaty__McBoatFace said: Hey mate 👋 I tried that *.* to open BERLOGA dogfight .mission file but the editor comes up with an error saying it can't be opened. I think they encrypted it or something so you can't open their dogfight mission? Real PITA and can't find a workaround. Any help appreciated 👍 9 hours ago, Husar said: Devs removed the option to open the MSNBIN format in the editor not long ago, after it had been available for more than ten years. made a small test: -For my single player mission it worked -For the multiplayer dogfight mission from that maybe has been write protected (I think I have installed it only for test/ I fly normally 100% offline) it did not work. later tested: -For self created (with EMG by VAnder) coop and dogfight missions it worked. So from my point of view it does only not work when missions are encripted / protected. Edited yesterday at 09:14 AM by kraut1
Stonehouse Posted yesterday at 05:37 AM Posted yesterday at 05:37 AM After the change to restrict access to msnbin files I believe the devs intent was that you can only open a msnbin file in the editor if you also have the mission file. You may be able to get around this somehow but I'm not sure. As the editor defaults to only presenting mission files in the open file dialogue anyway this tends to mean msnbin files are no longer really a useful source and only serve the purpose of being smaller and therefore quicker to load in SP and MP and transfer to clients in MP. Dedicated servers will usually use msnbin files for this reason. It definitely causes an issue if you lose a mission file and only have the msnbin to work with. I know there have been people raising this point when trying to revive old missions. 1 Intel Ultra9 285K, ROG Strix Z890-A, 32 GB RAM, RTX 5070 Ti 16GBVRAM and driver 616.56, Win11 Pro, Saitek Pro Flight Combat pedals, Warthog HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, Monitor resolution 2560x1440 at 164kHz using G-Sync. Graphics settings maximum.
Deacon352nd Posted yesterday at 01:19 PM Author Posted yesterday at 01:19 PM If the developers changed this WHY DONT THEY CHANGE IT BACK!!!! There are enough of us who want to use the ability to update their self created missions but for some reason dont have the mission file only the msbin file. Come on guys give us a break. We’ve spent enough money on these things. Stop taking away and start adding. 1
Billsponge1972 Posted yesterday at 03:28 PM Posted yesterday at 03:28 PM Does re-saving create a new .msnbn file?
Gutholz Posted yesterday at 04:40 PM Posted yesterday at 04:40 PM I do not know anything about mission editing, but was this maybe done to prevent cheating? (joining a server, opening the map in editor to view position of ground targets, go back online and easily bomb everything)
Husar Posted yesterday at 04:42 PM Posted yesterday at 04:42 PM Just now, Gutholz said: I do not know anything about mission editing, but was this maybe done to prevent cheating? (joining a server, opening the map in editor to view position of ground targets, go back online and easily bomb everything) Can be used that way but was not an issue since 2009
Boaty__McBoatFace Posted 16 hours ago Posted 16 hours ago 11 hours ago, Deacon352nd said: If the developers changed this WHY DONT THEY CHANGE IT BACK!!!! There are enough of us who want to use the ability to update their self created missions but for some reason dont have the mission file only the msbin file. Come on guys give us a break. We’ve spent enough money on these things. Stop taking away and start adding. It's like being given the middle finger isn't it? I really want to open some missions and mess around making my own versions for quick fun, but can't access now. Very disappointing and unnecessary.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now