Veritasvincitx Posted September 2 Posted September 2 (edited) Hey all! I am a historian, with a focus on the Second World War and Cold War, so, naturally, my flight simulation endeavors tend to lead me down some serious historical research rabbit holes. I've been gathering, and collecting, titles of memoirs, biographies, unit histories, and historical accounts related to the Korean War air campaigns from both sides. In the process of doing so, I came across a portal through a USAF website that has a digitized collection of a USAF publication titled "Flying Safety." it was a full-length, monthly magazine published by the Air Force devoted to increasing safety and continuing education for pilots and aircrew during the 1950's. Topics include various aircraft type tricks and tips, first person accounts from pilots with FEAF in Korea, etc. I'll provide a few links, but ya'll can find more through the portal. https://www.safety.af.mil/Portals/71/documents/Magazines/FSM/1950s/195104 - FlyingSafetyMagazine.pdf https://www.safety.af.mil/Portals/71/documents/Magazines/FSM/1950s/195203 - FlyingSafetyMagazine.pdf Also, if anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share the list of titles I have for memoirs and historical accounts of the air war in Korea - I've got twenty-five or thirty I can recommend. For me, as a historian, it makes me appreciate combat sums and immerse myself in them even deeper when I really know the in-depth history of the campaigns, periods, etc. Not everyone's cup of tea but for those interested, reach out. Cheers! Edited September 2 by Veritasvincitx 1 2 1
Viking1 Posted September 2 Posted September 2 (edited) WOW.. great find, thanks for sharing. Fascinating time of history eh? Back in 1999 when MiG Alley was released the marketing firm gathered a few of us writers to see the release version and to meet some of the better known pilots of the time. I spent an hour with "Boots" Blesse, then retired as a Major General. He had great stories and great energy. Attached. Maybe ill find those recordings one day. https://drive.google.com/file/d/10fEkogUMCSN9fXjRBKOy6S8e6g8ReneK/view?usp=sharing Boots on YouTube.. https://youtu.be/63RfpeuzqnM?si=dFwC0AsPaqv43SyD Edited September 5 by Viking1 3 Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR
Veritasvincitx Posted September 3 Author Posted September 3 This is serendipitous! I have been trying to rack my brain to recall the name of Blesse's book to add to my list - Check Six! I loved the game Mig Alley. I played it all the time back in the day. It was the first to cover this era in aviation history. I particularly loved the F-51D vs. Yak-9 missions. It really is a very interesting time in history. So many of the traditions associated with air combat and fighter pilot lore come from the Korean War. Cheers! 1
Viking1 Posted September 5 Posted September 5 (edited) Check out the YouTube link above. Great stories from his own time in Korea. He says the Mig crews didn't really do gun harmonization. Also that the canopy would ice up badly as they were descending rapidly. Interesting. Fought my second aur battle with a Mig today inthe F80. I still find the trim finicky but at least I put some holes in the guy! Edited September 5 by Viking1 1 Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR
Veritasvincitx Posted September 5 Author Posted September 5 (edited) Yeah, I've been having a heck of a time adapting to air combat in the jet age. I had been flying careers in the F-51D and F-80, doing mostly close air support and general mud moving. After my last inglorious death as an F-80 pilot I've gone to the other side flying the MiG-15 with a Soviet outfit. My first sortie was a B-29 intercept mission. Mother of Moloch, the closing rate is unbelievable! I damaged a few of the Superforts in my three passes but no kills. I tried lining up on an F-84 with my remaining cannon ammo but only had two or three rounds left. No dice. Try again tomorrow! Edited September 5 by Veritasvincitx 1
Viking1 Posted September 5 Posted September 5 (edited) They say practice makes perfect. Love the F51 they gave us. Whats your HOTAS setup? Edited September 5 by Viking1 1 Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR
Veritasvincitx Posted September 5 Author Posted September 5 (edited) I've got a pretty cheap HOTAS setup with my old Saitek X52 and Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro stick with CH rudder pedals. I could spend so much more but I've had them for years and am very comfortable with them. The second sortie went so much better this morning - one confirmed Superfortress and one confirmed F-84, which was a long deflection shot. I couldn't believe when I saw the smoke and fire trail and old buddy's canopy pop off. I was gone Winchester at that point, so I did a wingover and scooted back across the Yalu. Lost three of my pilots though. I also fly all my missions on Extremely Hard setting, with no navigation aids, no aircraft labels, no aids of any kind. I spent the first week just doing area flights with both sides' aircraft, getting comfortable with dead reckoning navigation to get around in the sim. I also love the F-51 we have in the sim. I have a few hours in a P-51, back when I was still flying alot and involved with several warbird projects with my father (who had all the connections). It honestly is the closest in any sim to a high performance piston fighter IRL that I've come across. Now, they eliminated the P-factor and torque that will make your right leg get really tired and flip the old girl over on her back if you slam the MP forward too quickly, but I can do without that. For pure feel, the 51 is spot on. Edited September 5 by Veritasvincitx
Viking1 Posted September 5 Posted September 5 (edited) Thats quite a history! I sat in a P40 but I couldn't talk them into starting her up! We have some lovely warbirds locally though.. Tempest ,Mosquito, F104, even a freshly painted Canadair F86! Running the X52 Pro here and its done the job, but never quite got used to the linear response after using TM Cougar. Might go with a VKB setup b4 much longer. Edited September 5 by Viking1 1 Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR
Veritasvincitx Posted September 6 Author Posted September 6 Here's a classic for you! His entire album is available on YouTube and Korean War themed: https://youtu.be/6yxGOLD1x2Y?is=HcClUN2fz1WDp2R9 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now