GregD Posted September 2 Posted September 2 Odd Qs I know... On some airfield attack missions - my favorites - I substitute bomb/rockets for napalm.. Once there I often manage to engulf 3 or 4 migs waiting on the runway and they are totally stuck in the flames and no longer take off... However the planes look intact on fly bys, and I am pretty sure I get no credit for ground kills of said planes. Any idea if that is true or not ? Shouldn't it work ? Side quest: Sometimes I cannot deploy airbrakes on the Sabre to slow for landing. same range of 200-350 kts, sometimes it works sometimes not, same key binding. Wondering if there is a simulated reason why not, or if others have had this experience and it's a bug.. Lastly, anyone made prisoner yet ? I've ejected over pyongyang's runway over my target mid attack, and my guy still was good to go for the next mission, kinda the reverse of great battles where landing 2 cm into enemy territory made you a war prisoner.. not complaining... One for the road: The mustang will occasionally get into a flat spin. I read up on this, cut power, nose down, opposite rudder.. Yet I've seen it flat spin all the way from "very high" with no hint of a coming recovery. Can't explain that one..
FuriousMeow Posted September 2 Posted September 2 (edited) Regarding the airbrakes, I noticed on the MiG-15 that sometimes the airbrake doesn't retract/deploy even though the switch in cockpit activates requiring a second HOTAS button press. Submitted it as a bug because there's no in-game indication that the second press does anything. Air speed I don't think would impact retract, and I've pressed the bottom quickly again in testing so there isn't much of a speed change anyway, and it occurs in a wide speed range. Napalm could for sure impair aircraft ability to take-off with a direct hit as all oxygen would be sucked out of the air so the engines wouldn't be able to combust and shutdown/stall out. But the only other action it would have is melting, not sure if it burns long enough to do damage to the aircraft that way. Edited September 2 by FuriousMeow
Viking1 Posted September 3 Posted September 3 (edited) We probably need a new thread dedicated to observations on how various ordnance actually works in the game. For example, early on someone noted that cluster munitions were not great. However ive found this one to be fantastic for use at airfields. Have yet to try it on supply convoys. Edited September 3 by Viking1 1 Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR
FuriousMeow Posted September 3 Posted September 3 Cluster munitions are good on soft truck convoys and trains.
BoeingVertol Posted September 3 Posted September 3 (edited) Good nape and other displays. Most aircraft are post Korea/Nam era, though F84s do make a small appearance or two. Have had mixed results w/ nape on aircraft on the ground with some results, but it shouldn't be survivable in a manned plane. Plexiglass, tires, and a lot of wiring would melt and burn, engine would certainly flame out at the very least, and the sustained heat wouldn't be survivable along with all the other secondary effects. Edited September 3 by BoeingVertol 2 9800X3D/5070Ti IL-2 GB/FC/Korea
Dash,Polder Posted September 3 Posted September 3 Fly low through napalm fire and you'll find out quick. I naped a bridge, after the steel melted and collapsed the flames persisted suspended in the air, so I had to fly back through it. Heavy stun to my pilot with splatter on the goggles, turning on the damage it registered all skin zones damaged plus a few other systems. And that was less than a seconds worth of passing through the fire. 1
MJones Posted September 3 Posted September 3 I've used napalm to good effect on airfields. Try out the cluster bombs, too. It does catastrophic damage to AC.
BlitzPig_EL Posted September 3 Posted September 3 What's the procedure with cluster bombs? I never seem to have any luck with them.
Viking1 Posted September 3 Posted September 3 (edited) 5 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said: What's the procedure with cluster bombs? I never seem to have any luck with them. The M26A2 I use more or less like a hard bomb. I'm usually about 600 feet AGL in level flight, or sometimes if a bit higher then diving at a shallow angle. Pickle one, half a second, pickle two. But dont give them to your flight, just hard bombs for those lazy boys until the programmers are done and that wont always work either. Edited September 3 by Viking1 1 1 Ryzen 7800X3D, AMD 9070XT 16GB, 64GB DDR5@6000, 2x Samsung 990 Pro EVO, LG Ultragear 32 with HDR
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now