Panthercules Posted September 1 Posted September 1 (edited) I know there are a couple of threads specifically for VR already, and they have some very interesting and useful posts, but I've tried looking through all 28 or so pages of what seems to be the main thread, and another (Russion I believe) thread that seems to relate to making physical modifications to the G2 HMD. However, it seems most folks have moved beyond the lowly G2 HMD and onto bigger and better things like the PIMAX, Quest 3, etc., and it hard to find the few nuggets buried in those threads about how best to configure the various settings specifically for Korea using the G2. So, I was hoping maybe we could use this thread specifically for people who are using the G2 with Korea and who might be able to share what settings they have found that work best for their G2 in Korea. For starters, here's a screenshot of my in-game graphics settings that seem to be yielding the best results for me so far, primarily in solo free-flight tests around Seoul (both daytime and nighttime)l: Also, any advice/experience about getting vrnecksafer (and/or xrnecksafer) to work well in Korea with the G2 would be appreciated, as well as thoughts/experiences as to running SteamVR/OpenVR versus OpenXR. For example, I experimented a bit today with OpenXR/VectorXR, but couldn't get past the stutters it introduced and so have gone back to SteamVR/OpenVR for now. Also, it would be helpful to note whether you are using Windows 10 or 11 (because of the Oasis aspect), and to show any settings you're using in Oasis/Steam VR, necksafer, vectorXR, etc. For example, here are some screenshots of my current SteamVR settings: Edited September 1 by Panthercules Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
TheNappingMan Posted September 1 Posted September 1 Running a Core i9-14900k, 3090RTX, Win10, Reverb G2. Here are my settings:
Panthercules Posted September 2 Author Posted September 2 (edited) How is that working for you, expecially around Seoul? I appreciate you posting those settings, as based on my testing to date and most folks' comments around here I would never have even thought about pushing some of those settings nearly as high as you have them. TBH, I was expecting a slideshow when I tried those settings, but I was amazed at how good things looked and worked. To be sure, there was still some "heat shimmer" over the larger cities around Seoul, and the occasional stutter now and then, and sometimes the FPS dipped over the cities more than I would like, but it was so much easier to see the ground targets and the buildings and bridges weren't popping into view like they sometimes were doing in my other tests. After a little trial end error tweaking some of the settings just to see what happened, I finally settled on the following variation at the end of my testing: I'm sure I'll take another look at this and see if things get better tomorrow, but for now I'm pretty happy with the way things looked over Seoul in daytime and at night, and in the Black Thursday mission - even managed to down a B-29 before I ran out of ammo and make it back safely to a friendly airbase: Edited September 2 by Panthercules Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
TheNappingMan Posted September 2 Posted September 2 I don't know the numbers, but my FPS is good enough that I don't notice it. The shimmer is still an issue, but DLSS is broken for me if I use OpenXR. Just black textures. So I go with FSR. Ghosting isn't that bad, and the shimmer I can deal with. I've also O/Ced my 14900K to 5.8ghz....and yes it gets hot. But I've also undervolted, too. There are a lot of tweaks I've done over the years that, at this point, I've forgotten about. 😁 The Devs are still looking at performance, so hopefully it will only get better from here.
Dash,Polder Posted September 2 Posted September 2 Would recommend you run a bench mark comparing grass off with your current settings. It pulls my VR down even at high altitude with it turned on, despite no grass being visible, it isn't worth it just to see some grass while on the ground. Than do the same with canopy reflections, with it off I get a bigger drag than either on positions in VR. Off in VR gives a yellow stain residue over the entire VR view dragging performance down a bit. I don't particularly like the way the reflections are done, especially at night, but the canopy is at least clean and clear so the scene rendering is far easier, especially noticeable over cities and real active busy fast moving scenes, at least on my bench marks. CapFrameX is a free and very good bench utility.
Panthercules Posted September 2 Author Posted September 2 CapFrameX looks very interesting - thanks for that tip. I seem to have gotten it running correctly (haven't figured out how to change the start trigger from the default F11, so I had to disable the free camera binding in game - I'd like to set it to be a button I can find by touch while in my VR HMD so I hope that's possible somehow), and ran a few tests. However, although I thought I had some pretty decent settings last night, my eyes must have been tired or something changed because everything I've tried today has some serious stuttering and building pop-in problems for some reason. I guess I'll re-try my settings without CapFrameX running just to make sure that's not the source of the stuttering. Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Panthercules Posted September 5 Author Posted September 5 (edited) Did a bunch more testing over the last few days. Below are the in-game settings I've settled on for the moment as the best so far. Still not perfect but pretty much acceptable, especially if I avoid buzzing Seoul at 500 feet. Just for grins, at one point earlier in the testing I tried switching from 90Hz to 60Hz in the SteamVR settings, thinking maybe I'd get a smoother result by not trying to push the headset to maintaining 90. Visually, I was thinking maybe I was seeing a minor improvement, but it turns out that there's some sort of problem with the Oasis driver maintaining connection to the headset if you try to start it up while SteamVR is set to 60, so I abandoned that approach. Building and terrain pop-up in general seems to be pretty minimal with the above settings, but there's one issue that's still bothering me a bit. The static aircraft parked at the airfields still seem to pop-in at really close ranges for some reason, which is a real nuisance if you're trying to do some ground attack against those targets. Edited September 5 by Panthercules Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Husar Posted September 5 Posted September 5 1 hour ago, Panthercules said: The static aircraft parked at the airfields still seem to pop-in at really close ranges for some reason, which is a real nuisance if you're trying to do some ground attack against those targets. This is not a VR problem, pop- in is also visible in 2D.
Panthercules Posted September 5 Author Posted September 5 2 hours ago, Husar said: This is not a VR problem, pop- in is also visible in 2D. Thanks - that's good to know. Hopefully the devs will get that fixed soon. At least I can stop worrying about trying to tweak my VR settings further to deal with that. Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Panthercules Posted September 7 Author Posted September 7 BTW - while searching generally about various Windows 11 settings and their potential impact on VR I ran across some discussions about whether or not you should turn HAGS (Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling) off for VR games like Korea. I tried searching this forum for any discussions about HAGS, but surprisingly all those searches came up empty. Has anybody around here experimented with this setting for Korea in VR? It's gotten too late here tonight, so I plan on doing some tests tomorrow to see if turning HAGS off has any effect on the minor stutters I occasionally get, but it would be nice to know if any others may have already done similar testing with Korea at this point. Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Panthercules Posted September 7 Author Posted September 7 (edited) Not sure what others might be seeing about this, but so far I'm liking it a lot more with HAGS OFF. While I was at it, I also turned Windows "Game Mode" off as well, as suggested by some of the Reddit or other discussions I saw yesterday. I didn't see much difference in terms of raw FPS with those settings off, but it did seem to run much smoother with very little noticeable stuttering, even when buzzing Seoul at 500 feet Based on what HAGS is supposed to be doing, it does seem like it should be better with it ON, but if you are having problems with little stutters you might want to give turning HAGS off a try. Just be sure to reboot your PC after turning it off before trying to fly again, and also turn off DLSS/upscaling off (if you're using it otherwise) as apparently that requires HAGS to be on to work. These are the current in-game graphics settings I've had the best results with in my HAGS OFF testing with my Reverb G2 so far: Edited September 7 by Panthercules Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Joch Posted September 8 Posted September 8 My system: 5800x3d, 5070 ti (616.86 driver), 32 GB DDR4 Ram, Win 11, Reverb G2 (Oasis driver) Steam VR settings: res 100%, motion smoothing on. In game settings, WIP, but pretty much there. DLSS performance seems aggressive, but with DLSS 4.5 and preset M, visual quality is pretty close to DLSS quality and you get a FPS boost. I am getting a solid 90 fps in the air. On runway at Kimpo airfield, FPS is 65-70 (cut to 45 by motion smoothing) frametime is 9.5-10 ms and game is butter smooth. Even overflying downtown Seoul, there is a mild stutter, but very playable.
Panthercules Posted September 9 Author Posted September 9 (edited) Interesting settings - thanks for posting those. I may have to give them a try just to compare. Just curious about a few of those settings. 1. Why put your screen resolution (in game) to 2560 x 1080? Is that your monitor's native resolution? 2. How do you determine that you're using DLSS 4.5 and preset M? I've only used DLSS quality and haven't seen anything about either the DLSS version or preset (though I did see some mentions of that in some of the other threads, I never really understood what was happening in that regard or whether it had any application for the G2). I did try DLSS5 Swapper once just for grins, but the loss of half my FPS was too much for me so that test didn't last long. Of course, after seeing that HAGS off seemed to be better for me in terms of reducing/eliminating stuttering, I've had to turn DLSS off since apparently it requires HAGS on to work. But I can turn it back on for the next set of tests, if I can figure out what's going on with the DLSS versions and presets. 3. I've never tried it with body enabled - from what I've seen in other threads it seemed like there might be some problems with how the body looks in VR and/or with the body obscuring some gauges/dials. Does having it on seem to have any impact on FPS/performance? 4. Why do you set your SteamVR res to 100%? I've been running at about 72%, because I was told way back when that it's best to set that as close to the G2's native resolution (2160 x 2160 per eye), but now I'm seeing a lot of discussions out there about how that was bad advice, so I'll have to try boosting that a bit to see if that helps. 5. I was also told way back when to avoid motion smoothing like the plague, so I've never tried having it on yet either. Do those drops to 45 FPS not cause problems for you? Guess that's one more "new" thing for me to try tomorrow 🙂 Edited September 9 by Panthercules Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
NicksNacks Posted September 9 Posted September 9 Thanks Panthercules for making this thread! I've been messing with all these settings too for my G2 and it's been a bumpy ride. I'm at work so I can't post my settings but I have found this discussion intriguing as I have tinkered with HAGS on and off, upscaling on/off, sharpening on/off, AA FSR and MSAA or no AA, OpenXR or OpenVR, etc for weeks now and my settings are similar to your first post. I'm interested to see if your test with Joch's settings shows any promise. I've noticed real low percentage on the load meter most of the time so maybe higher settings might make it more stable. There does seem to be some variation from day to day (real time) and long session okay in VR. Not sure if it's my system or different game areas. Multiplayer seems to be buttery smooth 99% of the time but the new campaign caused some dips in framerate and incurred minor stutters. I'm keeping a solid 90fps with a 9800x3d, Rx9070 and 32 gig of RAM on Windows 11. I upgraded to this system just for the release of Korea and was pretty disappointed at first until as initially Korea was a slide show until much tweaking gave me fairly smooth game play. Okay back to work for me but I'll be checking in periodically! Nick
Joch Posted September 9 Posted September 9 (edited) On 9/8/2026 at 10:40 PM, Panthercules said: Interesting settings - thanks for posting those. I may have to give them a try just to compare. Just curious about a few of those settings. 1. Why put your screen resolution (in game) to 2560 x 1080? Is that your monitor's native resolution? 2. How do you determine that you're using DLSS 4.5 and preset M? I've only used DLSS quality and haven't seen anything about either the DLSS version or preset (though I did see some mentions of that in some of the other threads, I never really understood what was happening in that regard or whether it had any application for the G2). I did try DLSS5 Swapper once just for grins, but the loss of half my FPS was too much for me so that test didn't last long. Of course, after seeing that HAGS off seemed to be better for me in terms of reducing/eliminating stuttering, I've had to turn DLSS off since apparently it requires HAGS on to work. But I can turn it back on for the next set of tests, if I can figure out what's going on with the DLSS versions and presets. 3. I've never tried it with body enabled - from what I've seen in other threads it seemed like there might be some problems with how the body looks in VR and/or with the body obscuring some gauges/dials. Does having it on seem to have any impact on FPS/performance? 4. Why do you set your SteamVR res to 100%? I've been running at about 72%, because I was told way back when that it's best to set that as close to the G2's native resolution (2160 x 2160 per eye), but now I'm seeing a lot of discussions out there about how that was bad advice, so I'll have to try boosting that a bit to see if that helps. 5. I was also told way back when to avoid motion smoothing like the plague, so I've never tried having it on yet either. Do those drops to 45 FPS not cause problems for you? Guess that's one more "new" thing for me to try tomorrow 🙂 Hi, see my comments below. 1. yes, it is my monitor's native resolution. In GB, I used to set a low resolution, but it does not seem to have an impact on FPS. Make sure you set the "or_render_eye=1" parameter in your startup.cfg file as explained in Dev Blog#81 VR. Scroll down to the next to last paragraph. Dev Blog #81 2. DLSS - I used the Nvidia App and followed the Nvidia instructions. The "Recommended" setting sets preset M from DLSS 4.5 for the "performance" mode. I was always a luddite when it came to DLSS which I thought was snake oil, but it has really improved recently and works quite well in Korea. Scroll down to the "Upgrading to Nvidia DLSS 4.5" section. Note that apparently Korea already uses the M preset automatically when you choose "performance" mode, so using the App may not be required. NVIDIA DLSS 4.5 Delivers Major Upgrade With 2nd Gen Transformer Model For Super Resolution & 6X Dynamic Multi Frame Generation | GeForce News | NVIDIA I have HAGS on, have not tested on vs off in Korea. I had tested it in various games before, but it never had an impact on FPS. 3. Pilot Body - That is a personal preference. I never liked the empty cockpits in GB and got used to having a pilot in DCS. It does not seem to impact FPS. Yes, it blocks a few dials, but does not impact gameplay. I wish we could toggle it on/off in game like in DCS. 4. Steam VR Res - there is no hard and fast rule. Higher Res brings more clarity but generates more pixels which can lower performance. I started at 70% and gradually bumped it up to 100% which is roughly 2500x2500 per eye. I will probably lower it to 90% to get some more FPS headroom. 5. Motion Smoothing - again, depends on the game. I could never use it in GB because it would cause major stutters, but in Korea and DCS, it works very well and you do not notice it since your eye always sees 90 FPS. Motion Smoothing only adds extra frames if your system cannot produce 90 FPS+. The trick in using it is to not be too aggressive in your settings. If your normal FPS without Motion Smoothing was in the 60-70 range, then it works well at filling in the missing frames. Edited September 10 by Joch
Panthercules Posted September 9 Author Posted September 9 Thanks for the detailed response. Looking forward to testing some of these settings when I get some time later today. In the meantime, just a couple of more questions relating to the points above: 1. I already had the "or_render_eye=1" parameter set in startup.cfg. However, I don't really understand the reference in the dev blog about "You can also configure the resolution of this parallel rendering using the or_width parameters. and or_height." How should the resolution be configured in these other two parameters? My startup.cfg currently has them set as "or_width = 2576" and "or_height = 2520", but I don't know where those numbers came from or what they should be. Do they have any relationship to what my SteamVR resolution should be set to (instead of its current 2184x2140) or to what my monitor is (1920x1080)? 5. I'll give motion smoothing a try too - my FPS were usually pretty solid at 90, with some small dips into the 60-70 range over Seoul, so we'll see what happens. Thanks again! Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
Panthercules Posted September 10 Author Posted September 10 Ok - a couple of "mysteries" solved. 1. Apparently, the or_width and or_height parameters are just the per eye resolution numbers being drawn directly from SteamVR. 2. I went back and forth through all the DLSS modes (in game) with HAGS on, and all the other options with HAGS off and on, and have wound up settling on FSR Quality with HAGS on for now. I couldn't find any combination of anything that could get rid of the stuttering while I was buzzing Seoul at 500 feet, but I figure that's a pretty uncommon use case, and the following settings gave me the best performance and overall visual quality/lack of stutters/lack of building and terrain pop-up etc. in daytime and nighttime general flying and ground attack as well as the Black Thursday mission, so I guess I'll stick with these for a while. Of course, while things looked really good with those settings tonight, if history is any guide they'll probably look like crap tomorrow and I'll be back to tweaking again 😞 3. Pilot body does look kinda cool and doesn't seem to block any dials/gauges that I seem to need, so I'm setting it on for now. Thanks for the suggestion! 4. In SteamVR, after playing around with a variety of settings between 72% and 150% (including "auto" as suggested by some reddit discussions) I think I've settled in on 100% (2576 x 2520) for now. 5. I tried motion smoothing on, but that turned into a huge stutter-fest. Completely unworkable for me. Glad it's working for you, and it was certainly worth a try. I also tried to use OpenXR, but for some reason I could not get XRNecksafer to work on my rig, so I had to go back to OpenVR so I could use VRNecksafer. Maybe one of these days I'll try to figure out that VectorXR thing so I can see if using OpenXR makes a difference. Ryzen 7 9850X3D 4.7GHz, RTX 5090, ASUS X870 Board, 64GB DDR5 RAM 6000, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11
YoYo Posted September 10 Posted September 10 (edited) Guys, if you want to seriously test performance, I suggest flying over Seoul in both directions—north-to-south and east-to-west—at low altitude (up to 300 ft), of course. Another good test is a career mode takeoff with your flight from an airfield (8 aircraft) or a predefined mission (Quick Mission Builder), such as one involving an air-to-ground long vehicle convoy (to check FPS over the target). When the sky is empty and you're at high altitude, FPS is usually decent; things get tricky when there's actual action going on. I really can't wait for the patch from 1CGS that significantly improves performance in these areas of IL-2 Korea. For settings you can check this topic as well, much of this could also bring benefits to HP Reverb too: Edited September 10 by YoYo Home cockipt: GPU RTX5090, CPU i7 13900, RAM 64Gb. | Webmaster of yoyosims.pl. VR flying only (Meta Quest Pro).
paddler Posted 10 hours ago Posted 10 hours ago HI. New here. I bought the sim yesterday and run into some problems with VR and my G2. The picture is nearer to my left eye then to my right. So it looks distorted. I tried to find a solution but to no avail. I hope someone here know a solution. Thx already. Im on Win 10.
Aapje Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago (edited) You can try to use VectorXR to change various settings that might solve that: https://diener.tech/products/vectorxr Edited 8 hours ago by Aapje
Dash,Polder Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago Change your Hz to low than set it back to 90, should fix it. Infamous bug with the G-2.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now