Jump to content
IL-2 Series Forum

Il-2 Series Task Editor Coop Converter - Play with your friends!


Recommended Posts

LuftManu
Posted

Have you ever wanted to play your Task Editor missions in Cooperative mode? Now you can!

With this system, you can create missions directly in the Task Editor and convert them into fully playable cooperative missions with just a few clicks. No need to open the editor or even close the game.

The simulator generates a _gen mission file every time you create a mission, automatically overwriting the previous one. This makes the process incredibly simple:

  • Create a mission in the Task Editor.
  • Open the application and select the generated mission. (generated mission will be named _gen.mission by the game)
  • Select the type of aircraft available to players (currently, only one player aircraft type is supported).
  • Give your mission a name.
  • Click Accept.

And that's it! Your mission is automatically converted into a cooperative mission, ready to be played with your friends — without having to manually edit anything in the Task Editor.

Create as many missions as you want and enjoy virtually unlimited cooperative content!

What it does

- Forces `MissionType = 1` so the sim treats it as a cooperative mission.
- Sets (or adds, if it's missing) the `MultiplayerPlaneConfig` line to the flyable aircraft you picked, so the sim knows what plane is available.
- Finds every aircraft flagged `PLAYERSQUAD` and forces `CoopStart = 1` on all of them — whether the line was already there with a different value, or missing entirely.
- Saves everything as a **new** `.mission` file with a proper name (no leading underscore, no `_gen`), so the sim actually loads it. Your original `_gen` file is never touched.

How to use it

1. Open the app, click **Browse...** and select your `..._gen.mission` file ( in `data/missions`).
2. Pick the flyable plane you chose for the mission from the dropdown.
3. Click **Save as...** and choose a name/location — it defaults to `data/multiplayer/cooperative` with the `_gen` stripped from the filename.
4. Click **Convert to cooperative**. That's it — the new mission is ready to fly.

 

f103ceb3e87b654a3ba7ae7746630952.png

Requirements

- Windows.
- That's it — it's a standalone `.exe`, no installation needed.

Known Issues
No briefing or location files are generated. So missions don't have text.

---

Homemade tool, not affiliated with the official IL-2 Sturmovik team — just something I built to save myself (and hopefully you) some tedious manual editing. Feedback and bug reports welcome!

 

I did a few tests and it did work but we need more testing! 

Kind regards!

Current version: 0.5 beta.

Il2SeriesMissionCoopConverter.zip

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

Eddyimac
Posted
51 minutes ago, LuftManu said:

Have you ever wanted to play your Task Editor missions in Cooperative mode? Now you can!

With this system, you can create missions directly in the Task Editor and convert them into fully playable cooperative missions with just a few clicks. No need to open the editor or even close the game.

The simulator generates a _gen mission file every time you create a mission, automatically overwriting the previous one. This makes the process incredibly simple:

  • Create a mission in the Task Editor.
  • Open the application and select the generated mission.
  • Select the aircraft available to players (currently, only one player aircraft type is supported).
  • Give your mission a name.
  • Click Accept.

And that's it! Your mission is automatically converted into a cooperative mission, ready to be played with your friends — without having to manually edit anything in the Task Editor.

Create as many missions as you want and enjoy virtually unlimited cooperative content!

What it does

- Forces `MissionType = 1` so the sim treats it as a cooperative mission.
- Sets (or adds, if it's missing) the `MultiplayerPlaneConfig` line to the flyable aircraft you picked, so the sim knows what plane is available.
- Finds every aircraft flagged `PLAYERSQUAD` and forces `CoopStart = 1` on all of them — whether the line was already there with a different value, or missing entirely.
- Saves everything as a **new** `.mission` file with a proper name (no leading underscore, no `_gen`), so the sim actually loads it. Your original `_gen` file is never touched.

How to use it

1. Open the app, click **Browse...** and select your `..._gen.mission` file ( in `data/missions`).
2. Pick the flyable plane you chose for the mission from the dropdown.
3. Click **Save as...** and choose a name/location — it defaults to `data/multiplayer/cooperative` with the `_gen` stripped from the filename.
4. Click **Convert to cooperative**. That's it — the new mission is ready to fly.

 

f103ceb3e87b654a3ba7ae7746630952.png

Requirements

- Windows.
- That's it — it's a standalone `.exe`, no installation needed.

Known Issues
No briefing or location files are generated. So missions don't have text.

---

Homemade tool, not affiliated with the official IL-2 Sturmovik team — just something I built to save myself (and hopefully you) some tedious manual editing. Feedback and bug reports welcome!

 

I did a few tests and it did work but we need more testing! 

Kind regards!

Current version: 0.5 beta.

Il2SeriesMissionCoopConverter.zip 11.68 MB · 1 download

Many thanks, LuftManu, for your generous contribution. I am sure your colleagues will appreciate it, as it will allow many people to get started with mission editing and enable small groups of friends to enjoy *IL-2 Korea* even more. There aren't many people like you who selflessly undertake this kind of work. I am familiar with your efforts through friends in Spain and Italy with whom I mostly fly *DCS*; now it’s time for *Korea*... Thanks again. I hope we meet in the virtual skies someday. Sincerely, Eddy.

  • Thanks 2
LuftManu
Posted
2 minutes ago, Eddyimac said:

Many thanks, LuftManu, for your generous contribution. I am sure your colleagues will appreciate it, as it will allow many people to get started with mission editing and enable small groups of friends to enjoy *IL-2 Korea* even more. There aren't many people like you who selflessly undertake this kind of work. I am familiar with your efforts through friends in Spain and Italy with whom I mostly fly *DCS*; now it’s time for *Korea*... Thanks again. I hope we meet in the virtual skies someday. Sincerely, Eddy.

Thank you! Enjoy!

  • Like 1

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

Eddyimac
Posted
On 8/14/2026 at 5:31 PM, LuftManu said:

Thank you! Enjoy!

Dear LuftManu, I've started testing your mission converter, and so far it's working very well. The AI responds OK, and the player slots are fine. I created a Strike mission as a test, adding maximum difficulty and objectives; everything seems to be working perfectly. I haven't been able to try it with friends yet because they're busy today, Saturday. I've been doing cooperative missions in DCS for years, even for a squadron a while back. My only difficulty (my ignorance, of course) is copying the briefing. I tried using the external mission editor, but its complexity is beyond me—I'm 68 years old, haha. Even so, this is a huge step forward for small groups of friends, especially for PvE Strike missions. Thanks again for your work, friendliness, and helpfulness. Sincerely, Eddy.

LuftManu
Posted
55 minutes ago, Eddyimac said:

Dear LuftManu, I've started testing your mission converter, and so far it's working very well. The AI responds OK, and the player slots are fine. I created a Strike mission as a test, adding maximum difficulty and objectives; everything seems to be working perfectly. I haven't been able to try it with friends yet because they're busy today, Saturday. I've been doing cooperative missions in DCS for years, even for a squadron a while back. My only difficulty (my ignorance, of course) is copying the briefing. I tried using the external mission editor, but its complexity is beyond me—I'm 68 years old, haha. Even so, this is a huge step forward for small groups of friends, especially for PvE Strike missions. Thanks again for your work, friendliness, and helpfulness. Sincerely, Eddy.

Hey! Glad you are having fun!! 🙂

As for the briefing, that's one of the shortcomings. The brefing/localization files are not being copied so no texts appear the mission. To fix this I usually take an screenshot of the mission I generate in SP. 

Everything else like the waypoints etc do appear without issues.

I hope I can find a fix in the future for that, but glad it's working fine! Thanks for the words!

  • Thanks 1

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

Patricks
Posted

And now a YT video of it in action! 😁

 

 

  • Like 4

ALL testing is done in VR - GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Elite WIFI7, Thermaltake 1200w PS \AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Corsair iCue Titan Liquid CPU cooler \ 64GB G.Skill Z5 DDR5 \ SBlasterX G6 \ 4TB NvMe M.2 Boot Drive \ ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 5090 SOLID OC 32GB GDDR7 - Nvidia 617.14 drivers \ 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Gsync \ Win11 Pro Ver. 26H2 - Build 26300.9457 \ TIR 5 \ Warthog HOTAS  with VPC WarBRD joystick base \ MFG V3 Pedals \ TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs \ Simgears ICP \ Pimax Dream Air VR running 72hz at Steam 100% 3872x3516 (per eye) OpenXR. 

hollowman
Posted

where do i find the Gen mission file? many thanks

Stonehouse
Posted
3 hours ago, hollowman said:

where do i find the Gen mission file? many thanks

IL2Series\game\data\Missions

  • Like 1

Intel Ultra9 285K, ROG Strix Z890-A, 32 GB RAM, RTX 5070 Ti 16GBVRAM and driver 616.56, Win11 Pro, Saitek Pro Flight Combat pedals, Warthog HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, Monitor resolution 2560x1440 at 164kHz using G-Sync. Graphics settings maximum.

Sim123_EKat
Posted

Try as I may, I can't seem to get the converted coop mission to show-up in my available coop mission list. I've tried the mission name (e.g., 'testcoop.Mission') with no luck. 

LuftManu
Posted
1 hour ago, Sim123_EKat said:

Try as I may, I can't seem to get the converted coop mission to show-up in my available coop mission list. I've tried the mission name (e.g., 'testcoop.Mission') with no luck. 

Hi! which mission type and how many planes in player's flight?

Let's review the process again 🙂

First, create a mission in task editor
Then, when you are loaded to play just alt-tab and head for the app
Once in the app, select the _gen.misison in the /data/missions. That's the mission you just created!
Select the type of aircraft you decided to use

And finally, give it a name and save it under multiplayer/cooperative

You cannot save it on another folder 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

LuftManu
Posted

@Sim123_EKat 

Tutorial vídeo of the full process 🙂
 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

KillerBee
Posted

Great Video @Patricks!

Questions:  Which of the two of you got the Time Skipping message; was it only the host, or both of you?  Who cleared the message; was it the host, or both of you?

 

Posted

Great little app for those of us who like playing cooperative. Thanks bery much for making it.

  • Like 1
LuftManu
Posted
6 hours ago, KillerBee said:

Great Video @Patricks!

Questions:  Which of the two of you got the Time Skipping message; was it only the host, or both of you?  Who cleared the message; was it the host, or both of you?

 

Hi! I recommend that only the HOST uses the skipping menu 🙂
But the rest can also do that. 

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

Mark_Krieger
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LuftManu said:

Hi! I recommend that only the HOST uses the skipping menu 🙂
But the rest can also do that. 

I'm afraid every player must push the 0 on the skipping menu doesn't disappear from sight. At least that's what happened on monday in our mission.

Edited by Mark_Krieger
  • Thanks 1

CPU AMD Ryzen 7800 X3D, GPU AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, RAM: 64 Gb DDR5, VR Headset: Quest 3.

LuftManu
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark_Krieger said:

I'm afraid every player must push the 0 or the skipping menu doesn't disappear from sight. At least that's what happened on monday in our mission.

Oh! thanks Mark! I was told the message dissapeared in other missions.

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

Sim123_EKat
Posted

 LuftManu - Thanks for your response. I was not saving the edited COOP mission file to the multiplayer/coop folder. 

  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Stonehouse
Posted

I don't believe I'm doing anything incorrectly to create the converted mission, but I noticed perhaps a possible bug in that the mission briefing is apparently getting deleted during the conversion. Mission properties on the left is the original career mission and the one on the right is the converted mission. All I have done is open both in the mission editor with zero changes to either.

image.png.8335e3305c6536c42287f7e07be0b6a3.png

Intel Ultra9 285K, ROG Strix Z890-A, 32 GB RAM, RTX 5070 Ti 16GBVRAM and driver 616.56, Win11 Pro, Saitek Pro Flight Combat pedals, Warthog HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, Monitor resolution 2560x1440 at 164kHz using G-Sync. Graphics settings maximum.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 8/28/2026 at 9:05 AM, Stonehouse said:

I don't believe I'm doing anything incorrectly to create the converted mission, but I noticed perhaps a possible bug in that the mission briefing is apparently getting deleted during the conversion. Mission properties on the left is the original career mission and the one on the right is the converted mission. All I have done is open both in the mission editor with zero changes to either.

 

Hello Stonehouse! Yes, briefing file is not being copied. I suggest looking at it before playing wiht some friends 🙂

 

Rig: RTX 5090 ASUS TUF / Ryzen 9850 X3D /Gigabyte X870E Pro X3D Motherboard / 48 GB DDR5 Teamgroup 8000 MT/s / MSI 321 URX QD-OLED 32" 4K

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...